Saturday, March 26, 2011

Remembering a fine woman today...

.....on this 102nd birthday of Hannah Hegsted Wells Rose, or "Jerry" or "Hannah" or "Grandma Rose", "Rose Amma"...she was a gracious lady. Click HERE to read Anita's post.
I loved finding this letter that she had written to her mother post marked April 11, 1932, written after she had met George and was dating him. She admitted to her mother that she was truly "in love"...."...this old 'bug' as I have called it...

They met in 1931 and married in December of 1933.

She was a respected educator for many, many years but through all of her accomplishments and accolades, she was most pleased with her four sons.....

We were privileged to live across the street from her in the late 70's when we moved back to St. George. One of my fondest memories was watching her spend countless hours pitching a little plastic ball to Mason....she would never tire. She could do it as long as he showed interest.

With fondest memories....Happy Birthday, Grandma Rose.

3 comments:

Anita Wells said...

wonderful, Jillyn! I'll link yours in to my post too.

Unknown said...

that is so neat about her playing ball with Mason, what a special memory of a lady we think was always so "ladylike"- she was a real hands on grandma in her day - thanks for sharing that

Stefanie said...

When Grandma would come to stay after each of Mom's babies, I'd get concerned. She was not quite as patient with my inquisitive nature as my psychologist parents.
But the older I grew, the more I came to love her --until now, whenever she comes to mind, I miss her almost desperately. It has been her picture in her blue suit in front of her blue house (taken by Jed) that has motivated me many times to "get up" again; forget myself and get to work.