Monday, July 21, 2014

I didn't want to do it....

...but I'm so glad he made me go along as he knew he would die young (13 years ago tomorrow at age 51) and he wanted to see what he could of the world. In 1989, he announced we were going back to Finland, 20 years after he had served  his mission there. I didn't want to leave the kids....but thanks to my babysitting mom and dad, I went; scared to death, afraid of flying at that time and dreadfully afraid of being gone from my children for that long but I'm so glad we went and to aid in calming my fear of flying, we accidentally got first class....
...not a good thing for a first flight across the ocean as the expectations are immediately set way high.....but it was awesome; even more amazing than a wonderful flight, we were able to walk the streets he walked and meet some of the people he came to love on his mission....including Sister Janis....his one and only baptism.
Many tender mercies happened that evening as we set out looking for her...more than coincidence and this is the scene as we drove to her summer home after we had just happened upon a baptism and someone that knew where we could find her. Oh, the joy.....something I will always remember and treasure forever. Only the beginning of our travels though....each year he would save and pay cash for our adventures with fellow Veterinarians on top-notch tours....first to Scotland where I was told we WILL NOT see Spencer....(on his mission).
....(upper left) but we did, then to Switzerland, Spain, Holland, and Belgium. He showed me the world.....and taught me to love travel and adventure. He loved the sights, sounds but mostly the tastes that each of these places offered. I'm so grateful for these wonderful memories with this amazing husband and father of my children who learned from him to enjoy God's gifts to us through nature. Actually, it all began soon after we were married when he taught me to ski....
When he realized my favorite part of a skiing day was the hot chocolate and tuna sandwiches at lunchtime, I think it all of a sudden became o.k. that we couldn't afford the sport....but I did learn it and am grateful for that adventure as well. I can say..."I used to ski"....because of him. He always saw to it that we had camping adventures (even buying me a camp trailer so I would go). He would be so proud of me now, camping, kayaking, hiking....and loving it. I do think he sent me Randy to keep me "out there" enjoying nature. Interesting that all of our family vacations would happen this time of year...(it was convenient to close the office on July 24). Here we are on our family cruise July 20-24, 1998....
I'm pretty sure he wants us all to do this again next year in his honor.....it would be great if he were here to pay for it. Actually, I don't think he would. He might offer to buy a dinner or two but he'd make each of the kids pay for their own so we must start saving (if I knew how to put a smiley face with a wink here, I would:)
He loved his family....wanted them to be together. He would be right in the middle of all these grand kids with me......
...and going to these baseball games with me (Seth and McKay's All-Star games in Cedar)....
...and sitting on the porch in Pine Valley watching this......
...but most of all, he would have been helping me babysit and lovin' every minute of it. 
 Sure do miss this good man who left us way too early but the lessons we all learned from him will be forever etched in our hearts. Thanks to each of my awesome 5 children who are living as he taught them to live. Let's really do that vacation next year!!!! 2015 Disney Cruise (or that cheap one out of LA will be fine) HERE WE COME!!!

1 comment:

Penny said...

Every year it amazes me that it's been so long ago. My memories with him are still so vivid. Such an incredible man. The Lord always takes the good ones early and leaves the rest of us here. Let us know if any of your kids can't make the cruise and Joel and I will gladly step in. We'll start saving up for it now. :)