Saturday, June 23, 2018

What did you do tonight?


I watched this movie and it was amazing and I feel like I need to say some stuff about it which might seem lame but I'm feeling it tonight and this is something I want to remember when I'm old without my memory and I'm reading my blog books and I come upon this entry and I smile because this post will for sure help me remember the feelings I am feeling right now.  First off, I had heard about the movie but didn't really know what it was about and now I've been introduced to the christian rock group, MercyMe of which I'm an instant fan. This is the back story of this particular song and apparently so many can relate to it because of the tender story of repentance, forgiveness, over-coming abuse and realizing dreams. I related in a lot of ways, not the abuse but the strong message of hope and triumph through finding Christ and I related because of my knowledge of the great Plan of Salvation. So, I'm going to blog about this movie, my thoughts, my sentiments.....you get the picture.  First and foremost....the character of whom this movie is about is Bart Willard. I first related to Bart's life because he was surprisingly cast in the school play as "Curly" in Oklahoma. I had to smile and remember the time Kyle got cast in the play. Bart was cast because someone accidentally heard him sing and cast him in the part. Kyle tried out and couldn't sing well but was cute enough that the director just figured he could make a singer out of him...and they tried but he was lots cuter than his voice was great (does that make sense?) but that got him by. I have to say it was one of the highlights of my parenting years as I would sneak over every afternoon and watch the play unfold right before my eyes and every night I would get chills as he walked down the isle singing "Oh What a Beautiful Morning" just a slight pitchy but it worked and he was a cute as heck "Curly". I was sure he was on his way to broadway as that same year Mr. Saxton cast him as Mortimer in "Arsenic and Old Lace".

What an awesome year that was. I write in an earlier post (click HERE) about the rising stars that are in our family and Emily and George have both been in lots of plays. Emily was in "Annie" this past year at her Middle School and had a solo which she performed very well and Scotty is now in "School of Rock" because of his wicked guitar skills. He was sought out. George has been in some plays....I just can't find pictures of everyone but I have a bunch of talented kids and I'm proud of their parents for all the $$$ they put out on lessons.
 I try to attend as many performances as I can. George had a piano recital, Molly had her first dance review, Evan is an award-winning story teller and I'm sure there will be lots more to come in the future. Add in the sports teams they are on and it can all keep this grandma pretty busy but I love them all so much. Wow, I have really digressed from the beginning of this blog which is about a movie I watched tonight so I'm going to move on (I'll do another blog on just my grandkids. They all have stuff they are talented in). 
*****************************
So this movie was about a song by the same name "I Can Only Imagine" and it was about the abuse he had to overcome from his father. While there are so many that have that kind of physical abuse in their lives, there are those that have other kinds and this was a movie about overcoming. I especially loved how they portrayed the moment he was finally able to forgive his dad and help him die. I related as I have just helped my mother die. Though I had a great childhood, I feel like her older, declining years were full of a lot of controlling and somewhat verbal abuse at times but I want to remember her for the mother that I truly miss today.....the one I would call to brag to about my wonderful family; the one I would call and tell her what was happening in my life and I miss the mom that cared. I learned that when we grow old, we become so obsessed with that stage of life that it's hard to have the dialogue I used to have with her when she was young and I was raising my kids. I would call her for everything....what to do about a crying baby, how to know when to take them to the doctor and to just let her know all of their milestones as I was raising them. I sure do miss that mom that I knew. I miss that every day and I still want to pick up the phone and tell her how my day was and how wonderful it is here in Pine Valley and that I wish she could come here. Bart's father told him that it was a big mistake to dream. Sometimes, as parents we might say some things that stay in our kids heads. I know I've held on to a lot of those from my mom but it is possible to rise above and change. Bart didn't think his father could ever change and he was able to watch it happen before his own eyes and he was able to be with him when he died. I was glad for the time I was able to be with my mom. I wish I had said a lot more things to her but I do remember one day I was with her in the hospital and she looked at me and told me I was beautiful. I don't ever recall her saying that to me.  It meant so much.  I can never erase any of the negatives I may have said or done to my children but I can start now to make sure it's positive voices they hear in their heads. Bart fulfilled his dream....and I know through his faith he was able to accomplish what he did through Jesus Christ as we all can. We can do way more with our lives with His help than we can on our own. I know His hand is in my life and I have guardian angels all around me. A topic for another blog. Go see the movie. I'm going to buy it and watch it at least once a year. A great message for all to hear.


No comments: