Thursday, March 12, 2015

Just "had" to do a little TBT......

....or a little bit of then and now....whatever we call it, this is one place I love to visit and it holds some of the best memories from my childhood. Back in '58 we "had" to take a trip to Salt Lake because Bruce "had" to get his teeth fixed (where were all the dentists back then, huh???) and our car "had" to break down going up the hill just past Washington so we "had" to take Grandpa Sullivan's car then Bruce fell and hit his head on the corner of a table (at the dentists office) and "had" to have stitches but with all this drama, we "had" a great time as a family....one of our few trips out of town. Dad was a farmer and "had" to always get his cattle fed so our family vacays were pretty much "one dayers" to Zion or Kolob (but we did get to go to So Cal once in a while to visit the Isom relatives there and go to Disneyland).
Anyhoo, Randy and I visited here this past week-end and "had" a marvelous time. I don't know why I put "" on the word "had" but it is an interesting word to me. It is the simple past tense of have which means to possess, own or hold for use which leads us to believe it is very fleeting so because whenever it is used, something or someone is gone or force is being used....(I'm making this way too complicated) but my point being we were able to do all these things despite the difficulities encountered by this little family just trying to take a simple trip to Salt Lake and all the "hads" made for an interesting and very memorable experience so though the trip itself is gone I still "have" the memories and I especially love that my hair is in curlers (Top right. MOM, are you kidding me!!!!!) As usual, the mom took the pic (upper right) so she couldn't be in it and this gorgeous couple (bottom right) the one and only farmer and his wife (Hal and Leila) visiting the big city. Now to the reason I "had" to go to Salt Lake (makes it sound like I didn't want too, and I didn't at first (just seemed too far away or I'm getting old) but a certain sweet daughter helped me realize I was needed and whether I was or not, I needed to go.....to Traci's Baby Shower...hosted so graciously by cousins and Lauri. 
They put on a great party and we learned a lot about the females in our family and the lessons we can learn from them. Highlight of the party for sure, Meika's diaper cake. She hires out just in case you are interested and she does put together a mighty fine diaper cake....lots of fun, food and laughter and one can never get enough cousin time. This was a combination Birthday Party and Baby Shower as Traci turns 30 today and is having a baby girl....(in exactly 12 days) and it's Em's birthday too.....
I wasn't going to do birthday posts this year but these two chicks have a pretty important day today. Emily turns 12 and is going into Young Women's and Traci is 30 going into "middle age"....ouch, maybe that was too harsh but I think she looks pretty much like a teeny bopper with 4 little boys tagging her around. I'm sure people think she's the nanny when she's at Costco with all of them and I'm sure they'd still ask her for ID if she tried to buy some liquer...and I did mean to spell it that way so you would read it like "lic...yur""......Happy Birthday to the both of you. O.K....back to business.
Randy was so kind to travel (I don't think he likes it much) to be with me for a long week-end. We enjoyed some fun stuff. We took the "Funicular" to a hilltop hotel called St. Regis at Deer Valley. We just asked someone on the street if we could ride the chair lift and they guided us to this "freebie" and you know we just "had" (say it sarcastically here) to do it and it was beautiful.
I could do this, you know but I guess I'm just not supposed to but I can look in once in a while at those that live this way and they probably don't think it's all that cool.....but I do and it's fun to pretend once in a while. I guess that's why they say there are the "haves" and the "have nots" but I like to consider myself on the heavy side of "have" and count my blessings not my money.... (Wasn't that just poetic")...and one of my favorite blessings just happens to be my kiddos....which I get to see a lot of these days (if not in person, ya gotta love that FaceTime).
I got there in time for "snack time" with Lucy and Molly, a quick visit to the Staheli's and a beautiful day for trampoline tricks then breakfast with Molly.....she's eating like a kitty in case you couldn't tell and Lucy's cute hair do.....just missing the "bangs to heaven". I'm sure Lauri and Traci are marred for life with curling iron stories so their girls will never have to feel the heat and have that trauma (sorry, girls).
We enjoyed the little train ride at "This is the Place" monument and especially the tiny duplicate of our Pine Valley Chapel. It really was a cute little thing and is where I had my film debut....I was in "The Best Three Hours of the Week" (click on it to watch and see if you can find me). Now on to another adventure.....me and the boys (George, Drew and Randy)....Folsom, here we come. 

1 comment:

Penny said...

I hate to say it but I have never taken my kids to This is the Place. We've been to the zoo a dozen times. I might have taken Shayne there once when she was about 8 and Sophie and Josh were little. That needs to be our next trip.