Saturday, September 6, 2014

Spontaneity is my middle name....

......and it has worked well for me in this marriage as Randy never knows when he's going to get his jobs done earlier than expected but Thursday he did. He called at 3:30 and said...."hey, let me run this by you. I've just finished painting this house and she wants us to run up to her cabin tonight and do a bid on it....she says we can stay overnight....can you be ready in, like, say, 30 min.?" Gulp....yep, I can do that. We pulled out of here at 4:30....more like 40 min. to get ready but headed up toward Murphys, California to a place called Arnold. I didn't take a picture of the place but here's the sunset that greeted me as I got out of the car upon our arrival.....
A nice evening and good nights sleep then we were off to explore the area....first taking in the Big Trees State Park.....and oh, were they big trees.
We went on one of the mile hikes and couldn't get enough of this....so amazing.
This was one of my favorites. Enjoying the roots of this fallen giant....
The cut tree in the background serves as a stage....it's huge.
After seeing trees that reach way up into the sky, we decided to venture way down into the ground...

Mercer Caverns (Click HERE to learn more). There were several choices on the map but after our lunch at  "Grounds", a restaurant recommended by a local, this was the closest. Others offered rapelling (might have been nice when I learned how many stairs we would have to climb) but we chose proximity instead of comfort as it was 16 stories worth of stairs....and when you go down, you have to come back up.....gulp again....but I figured I might as well give it a try and see if all my swimming and working my legs has paid off. Also, I'm a bit claustrophobic (inherited) and wasn't sure about this whole adventure but I headed on down to this wonderland of stalagtites and stalagmites and a really funny tour guide that made the educational aspect of it so fun...and I did make it back up quite easily with the two hand rails provided...doing most of the work with my kayaking arm muscles. I loved it so much. I'm going to put a few more of these caverns on my bucket list, including Lehman Caves that we pass every time we take Highway 50. This is gold country and there are a lot of mines but these caverns were discovered and this particular one has been kept in pristine condition and still takes thousands through every year. Click HERE for it's history. So very interesting. Discovered in 1885. But time to head home....
At one point we had to wait for the turkeys to cross the road. I had to grab my camera from the back seat so by the time I got these, they were already across. We were out of cell range so it's always good to get back and check up on the kids. They are doing good things. Laynee is winning races.....
..and being interviewed by reporters. This is what was in The Spectrum:

               "The girls' side of the race wasn't as close, but no less exciting. Panguitch's Whittni Orton took a sizeable lead out of the gate and held it through most of the course before Desert Hills' Laynee Wells overtook her and held on for a close win.It came down to the final mile when Wells finally got the chance to make her move."I knew I could just slowly catch up," Wells said of her strategy in trying to erase Orton's 50-yard advantage. "I started out with my group and slowly worked my way in front."Wells and Snow Canyon's Teisha Truman passed Orton and finished a second apart".
*****************
Spencer won the lottery...the Subway lottery that is. He drew out so invited a bunch of his buddies and they took last Monday off work.....some first timers and some not but it's always nice when they get out of there safely. I've lived my whole life with this Subway thing so you'd think I'd get used to it and it was just a day or two later that the huge storm hit...anyway, I love that they do it and I love that they get through with it, if that makes motherly sense.
He also took the fam and headed up to Kanaraville Falls.....I liked this pic so wanted to post it.
Kyle took his two boys with the deacons from his ward and hiked to the top of Pine Valley Mountain. I love it when these little ones get these adventures.....so fun.
I know Mason's family is busy as well but don't get many pictures from them. Maycee got two parts in the Nutcracker this year so that will keep her busy and I'm sure Miller and McKay are playing multiple sports. Mandy, maybe you could message me a few more pics of the fam...I miss you all so very much.
********************
Lauri is enjoying her move to Pleasant Grove and is settling into apartment life again. She recently re-united with two of her missionary companions and their families and it has been fun to follow them through the years as they all served missions in the Tucson Arizona Mission, then came home to pursue their educations and find their eternal companions and then produce these munchkins....
I've loved sharing Lauri's experiences with these awesome girls. Becca and Elizabeth have been part of my life too. (Click HERE for more on Lauri's blog).
Just today I was able to talk to a tearful daughter of mine as this little one was lost for almost an hour......a very frantic one at that.
They were at a soccer game and Jake went over to find relief at a splash pad and didn't return. He had gotten a little mixed up as to where his family was but he was very smart....and did what he had been taught. He was at a different park and just sat still until he was found. My heart is full as I post this as I'm so grateful for my family. I'm grateful for prayer and the faith that our prayers will be answered and then for the gratitude of a young mom who will pour her heart out to Heavenly Father at the temple in gratitude for this miraculous outcome that could have turned out so differently. I feel I need to testify of the power of prayer and express my gratitude for the goodness of people that will pitch in and help a frantic family find their little boy. It may sound over-dramatic but I am a mother....the minutes are like years when your child is missing. I will fall on my knees as well in gratitude and add this experience to my book of "tender mercies" that we've all experienced and we all know from whence they come. May we all hug those little ones a little tighter tonight and take the message of "Stranger Danger" a little more seriously and teach them what they need to do in these situations.

No comments: