Thursday, April 11, 2019

Spring is trying....

...yep trying it's hardest to get here and just as we were enjoying the outdoors and welcoming some sprouting bulbs, a late storm arrived and dropped a couple of inches over night.

The ugly clump left at my front door is still there just freshened up a bit with the new snow. Frankly, I'm happy to have winter take it's time leaving. I love the four seasons and hate to rush any of them out the door before they are ready to go. April Conference was this past weekend and nothing better than staying in pajama pants and sweatshirt all week-end. I really enjoyed all of the talks and I think one of the most important messages given was to re-commit and return to activity and the arms of fellowship of the saints. I especially loved the talk about answers to prayers and he said that even though He doesn't answer our prayers immediately, He gives immediate goodness. Encouragement was given for older single sisters and couples to serve missions.
It got me to thinking about my mission as does every conference as I served 18 years ago in the translation department and every conference I was able to go into the "tunnels" behind the organ where the translators worked their magic and brought conference to the world in 108 languages. I was honored every conference to be a part of it and I have fond memories of that time every time I watch conference.  I would like to add the pages of my missionary newsletter for posterity as I make these entries into a book (as soon as I find them).  This is my history that I will leave behind.

*********************
Here in Pine Valley, we have wonderful monthly activities for the whole community. This past Friday, we were privileged to hear the Marty Warburton Bluegrass band as they performed in our quaint little church. It took me back to how the pioneers must have entertained each other on that stage. Such a perfect setting for an amazing program, the most amazing part of it being my idol, Ryan Tilby on the bass. I've watch him in various bands for many many years, I guess starting when he would play with Sam Payne and at concerts in the park that I would attend regularly. He plays every instrument with the cutest smile on his face.
Not a real good pic but it's him....and he didn't disappoint. He can play every instrument up there and has won many awards for his talent and has played with any band in the area from here to Salt Lake that you can name.
I'm hoping the one of my grand kids will be able to learn from him, especially maybe Jake on the bass.
I was brazen enough to ask for a picture with him. If I were famous for something I'd want my fans to come and talk to me.....so I figured.......he was most gracious. 
 Ryan Tilby forever.....
**********************
....speaking of forever, Tuesday night I had the honor of attending the "Forever Queens" social just before the 2019 D Queen contest.

Not many of us go but I feel like I'm representative of my class of 1970 and I'm happy to represent. It's still a shock to me that I'm the queen of '70. Now days, they have this big pageant where they dance and do talents and answer questions. We were nominated for our service and activity and grades by the faculty then presented in an assembly then voted on by the students. I had made so many friends that year as Pledge Mistress in Lambda Delt and all my girls came out and voted for me but I'm forever grateful and proud to be a "forever queen".
Here's a picture from my glory days.  I still have the dress if anyone needs to borrow it for a Supremes impersonation. Loved those white gloves. I have more pics but can't get them to behave when I enter them into blogger. I'll try again later.
********************
A couple of weeks ago the 69-70 Rebelettes were invited to the review and we had a little gathering at Elsa's after. I got these pictures from a scrapbook that had been saved. I will post more for posterity as I figure out how to do this blog post.
****************************
Randy has moved here now and has been welcomed with lots of job opportunities. He is working on Dr. Hoy's little cabin today then has three other jobs in the hopper.
Here he is, the working man.....in his element. Works no matter the weather and it has been a bit nippy these past couple of days. Last Sunday, we had some very welcome visitors. When I moved up here I was sad to leave behind the Sunday tradition of going to grandma's but Lauri, James and the kids came for a visit....
 ...and I loved it. 
It's tea party time again so we had a preview. Too cold to be outside but inside was just fine. 
Laynee has been able to travel Europe on the week-ends while teaching English in Lithuania. I got this screen shot of a post she sent from Helsinki. Her grandfather served there over 50 years ago. She was able to spend conference Sunday on the grounds of the Helsinki temple......and....
.....she's had the true Finnish experience of a  hot sauna then jumping into the cold, cold, ocean.
Speaking of cold, George seems to be doing well in Vermont. Never too cold for ice cream.  My grandkids are all doing well. Drew got elected to Exec. Council at Desert Hills High School and chosen as SBP. Maycee will be a senior at Herriman High and I love getting pictures of her activities, mostly dances and she plays soccer. Emily is at State Drama Competition and was able to go to Costa Rica on Spring break.  I don's think I ever recognized Scott on his participation in Dixie's Got Talent. Last December I was able to attend and watch him wow the crowd on his guitar.  I'm lovin' watching him "rock on". He's had some fun opportunities to perform.
 He did sooooooo good. We were all so very proud of him......and appreciated Evan's cousin support.
On down the line, they are all achievers and I love watching them grow up.  I will devote other posts to their activities. For now, it's a comfortable day here in Pine Valley and I'm lovin' it.........
***********************************
I guess yesterday was National Siblings Day.....Siblings Day (aka National Siblings Day) is a holiday recognized annually in some parts of the United States on April 10,[2] honoring the relationships of siblings. Unlike Mother's Day and Father's Day, it is not federally recognized, though the Siblings Day Foundation is working to change this.[3] The commemorative day has been recognized by three US Presidents (Clinton in 2000, Bush in 2008 and Obama in 2016). Since 1998, the governors of 49 states have officially issued proclamations to recognize Siblings Day in their state.[4]

I'll take a minute here and give a shout-out to my siblings Clark (deceased) Joyce and Bruce. This past month we have all been living under the same roof again after all these years and how fun it has been to get caught up with each other every day. I lived with Joyce while she had surgery and Bruce and Gae lived in her basement while they are remodeling mom's house as their own.
Here we are celebrating our mother on the first anniversary of her passing. They met me in Veyo for delicious ribs and pie. To my siblings......may we always have something to celebrate and may we do it with ribs and pie.  







No comments: