Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Remembering a good man......

Seven years ago this month a good man was taken from this family and I’d like to pay tribute to him today as I’m finding myself a bit melancholy lately. July comes with a bang as we celebrate the anniversary of our independence but leaves me somber remembering where we were just seven years ago. I won’t be lengthy in my tribute but want to pay honor to a common man who taught us so much. He led by quiet example, never wanting any glory or honor, always wanting to be found doing good. He would never force us to read the scriptures but was seen himself doing it daily, making it a goal the last few years of his life to read the Book of Mormon at least once a year. He didn’t waste time nor money and always lived by the motto……”There is no dignity so impressive and no independence quite so important as living within one’s means.” I think he made it up but it was “his” philosophy and he never forced it on anyone but lived it himself in hopes that his wife would follow. She never did, sad to say and is struggling to do it today. I’m grateful for the “means” he did leave behind and I’m truly trying to follow his example. He was always found reading good materials, watching good movies and mingling hard work with his “mountain time” relaxing in Pine Valley. He taught the value of education, left behind a legacy of church service and was a loving father and family man. We all miss him but are ever grateful for the extra years we got to have him. We're all better having known him.......

2 comments:

Staheli said...

Wow, that made me so happy to click into your blog this morning and see a picture of Dad. Thank you Mom. He was and incredible Dad and role model. I had Scotty with me and it was nice to show him his Grandpa.

Rachel Doyle said...

Sister Wells,

Brother Wells was truly a wonderful man. I will never forget how willing he was one Sunday to help out with a church lesson. Thank you for posting this - Rachel Cornwell-Doyle