Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Who needs a Pumpkin Spice candle when you have tomatoe soup.....

I wish there were a gadget that would let me post the smell on my blog that's in my house right now. I think I'll just keep a pot of tomatoe soup simmering all winter long. I wanted to post a picture of the beautiful bottles filled with this "gold" but I lost my camera (I actually found it but it's at Mason's) so I'm posting the original recipe from Mrs. Ludwig's cookbook and you can see how well used it is. It has been one of those recipes that everyone in my family would eat so every fall, I would hunt down lugs and lugs of tomatoes and spend a few days cooking, squeezing and bottling this tasty treat. My kitchen is a mess but it's a beautiful mess. So, I got these tomatoes from JoEllen's dad, Joe Shelton in Lehi and it's been great to be able to fill up a few jars again. This is just one of those smells that brings me back to a wonderful time in my life, raising my kids, seeing them off to school, then welcoming them home to tomatoe soup and homemade bread. Aw....the memories. Some days that's all that keeps me going.....Mrs. Ludwig's tomatoe soup forever. When I was just 16, Scott took me to Ludwig's German Restaurant up by Leeds for my birthday and it soon became our favorite place to go, so these great recipes from her book bring me even more warm memories of yummy food and good times.

4 comments:

Becky & Doug said...

Jillyn this soup looks so good. I'm going to give it a try. We had planted some tomatoes bushes and I bottled most of them but this soup sounds so good. I do need to know about the mixed spices, does it come in a bottle or do you make it yourself. Becky

xoxomom said...

Ahhh the memories. You just make them come alive when you write. I hope your kids (and grandkids) appreciate what a blessing you are.... making and keeping memories alive is what it's all about. THANKS! Gotta go, I've got to get some tomatoe soup going to make my house smell good.

Loni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Loni said...

My mother used to work at the Homespun in Leeds for Mrs. Ludwig. She has been searching for a recipe book for years. Do you happen to know if they are still available anywhere? Thanks.

Loni