Monday, March 9, 2009

Got "Clektions"?.........

I ran across this entry in my church journal the other day and got a laugh...... (don't ya just luv fonics). Laynee and I were exchanging questions in church a while back and she asked if I had any "clektions" so I wrote back and told her what I "clekt". So....I've been mucking out (not a pretty sight right now) and believe me, I'm a borderline "hoarder" (click HERE to learn more about this disorder) and seriously trying to SIMPLIFY but it's so hard and I know I'm in trouble when I have a hard time throwing away a box full of 1979 Good Housekeeping Magazines....HELP ME, PLEASE....but I've finally resigned myself but I'm amazed at what I'm finding.....So, I'm thinking about our family's "clektions" through the years and we've all had some from the boys "clektion" of baseball cards to my mini-mugs, dolls (Barbie, Ginny, Troll and dolls from various countries) and lately YARN (I call it a stash but it's the same thing; I have too much) and the girls teddy bears, Care Bears and Traci's "everything giraffe". Traci and Tiff used to have "Clektion Shows" and line up all their stuff in the basement and invite their friends over for the viewing of it. Why do we "clekt" what we "clekt"? I find great pleasure in having something to look for and then bringing it home and putting it in it's place and admiring the massive amounts of it that I have (oh, so sick)....why? I wish I could understand this phenomenon. Maybe someday I'll write my dissertation on the subject but for now, I'd like to get rid of some of my"clektions" (but not my dolls). Anyone want a thousand black purses or 300 mini-mugs? Check DI tomorrow. BTW, what do you "clekt"? Oh, I forgot to mention that I "clekt" dust too, but I'm sure that's an altogether different disorder.

4 comments:

Penny said...

I definately collect dust too! I did collect Mary Moo Moo's. But since we've moved so many times they have just ended up in a box in storage.

Diana said...

I have had several "clektions" over the years including coins, glass figurines and old tins (you know, like spice or cookie tins). I think I told you Camille is a professional organizer and she has a monthly newsletter. I wish I could send you some of her old editions, but I will email March's right away. Maybe there's something you will find out about your hoarding disease...ha, ha!

joycew said...

Oh, Jillyn...are we ever sisters!! My clektions include matchbooks from anywhere I've ever been, Norman Rockwell plates, BOOKS, birdhouses, and of course my Beanie Babies (not to mention the black purses!)

Cheryl said...

I really enjoyed your "Clektion" post.
I think you ought to send it in to a magazine for publishing--maybe one of the subscriptions that we don't have time to finish reading, but has such cute ideas inside.
One of my addictions is aprons. I have more than I can wear in a week or two and yet I still am excited when I get another.
Your spurt of declutter energy is inspiring me to muck out my "clekted" storage of goods.
Maybe I'll make a digital scrapbook.