Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Before he died.....

...he survived, and I'm grateful for Traci's post and the tribute she paid to her father and me, but I must add my two bits for what it's worth. Twelve years ago this week, we were gathered as a family planning his funeral and that memory often over-shadows the fact that 16 years earlier, in 1985, he was a surviving "down-winder" as he conquered Leukemia. We were featured in an article in the "Inter-mountain Healthcare Report" in 1986 and I just wanted to share it here to be recorded for posterity.( I think Mason was at Cub Scouts this day and I'm not sure why we couldn't locate Kyle for this picture.)
I'm just grateful that we could be a part of history as Scott was the first cancer patient to be treated by Dr. McMahill here in St. George. We have an awesome facility here that saves a lot of lives and I'm so thankful we could be one of those saved lives back so many years ago.
He lived 16 years before being diagnosed with Hepatitis C, which finally took his life. We are grateful for Gawain's bone marrow and many pints of blood that got him through the Bone Marrow Transplant and for the many prayers and faith of family and friends. It truly was a miracle that I don't ever want to forget. We have all gone on with our lives but I choose this week to pay tribute to him.

IN REMEMBRANCE OF
SCOTT GORDON WELLS  
1949 - 2001

1 comment:

Penny said...

It's so hard to think that that much time has gone by. It seems like only yesterday. Thanks for the wonderful blog.