Sunday, September 15, 2013

You've got mail....

....usually means "electronically" but isn't it great to get something other than bills or ads in the mail? It happened this past week and frankly, I was a bit shocked. It was an actual letter to Randy, a "thank you"....and it came by mail. Could have come by e-mail just as easily, or even a text message but ya know what, the fact that it came by mail just made it special. I got a hand-written thank-you note as well, left in my suitcase (along with a little gift, thanks Lauri). Who writes thank-you notes any more? Well, I hope I will start hand-writing and snail-mail sending notes from now on. It's just something we all aught to get back to doing. jmo....
 I just downloaded a book called "The Art of the Hand-Written Note" by Margaret Shepherd and she reminds me that compared to a phone call, "a handwritten note doesn't arrive demanding to be read when you've just sat down to dinner; it courteously lets you know who sent it before you open it; you won't be annoyed by the sounds coming from the pens of compulsive note-writers at the next table in your favorite restaurant. You'll never get a busy signal from a mailbox; you won't have to play "note tag" to get read; and your readers won't use "note waiting" to put you on hold while they open a note that arrives while they're opening yours. And in contrast to e-mail, a handwritten note looks beautiful and feels personal; you won't get an electronic virus from opening a handwritten note nor find a list of last week's lamebrained jokes." Here are a couple of little hand-written notes that Traci shared with me this past week.
I've saved all my notes from my kids through the years and I do treasure them. Margaret Shepherd goes on to say..."A note in the mail brightens a dreary landscape of junk mail, form letters, and prefabricated greeting cards, and it shines through a virtual blizzard of abrupt digital memos and disembodied voice chat. When a handwritten note comes in the mail, people pay special attention to what it says. Ink on paper is still the classiest way to express the thoughts that really matter, on the occasions that really count." 
I came across this blog the other day (Click HERE) that reminds me of why I like to write handwritten notes. I especially love "new" paper and I'm always looking for the next "most wonderful" pen. I treasure my pens and I know Scott always had to have a Cross pen in his pocket. The next time you go into Staples or Office Max, peruse the pen section and see what little beauty you can find to put in a special place in your purse or find some wonderful stationery and then sit down and write me a letter. We could be pen pals....and if you think it's just a "girl thing"....well you are wrong. Real men write notes, lots of them...from Napoleon Bonaparte to George H.W. Bush (and I'm sure you know many that do). This web site actually is for men.
******************
So, when I'm not sitting at my desk writing hand-written notes, I'm out on the water. We are loving our kayaks and I love being on the level with the ducks.
Ducks on the pond do quack a happy song and I was able to get a "ducks eye-view" of the Sacramento Temple from Lake Natoma....
I'm turning off the computer now and I'm going to get out my pen and paper and write a letter to my mom because she is the queen of the written note (maybe it's a blessing she refuses to learn to use the internet). She sends out more than 365 birthday cards per year and many other notes of correspondence. I'm sure she doesn't get much real mail in return but she will be getting one from me this week.
Kyle, this picture is for you. No feet!!!!

No comments: