Thursday, May 29, 2014

"Just enjoy....."

"Put the cameras away and just enjoy!".....Kyle said this to me the last day we were at the beach in Hawaii....I was on my way out snorkeling and just mentioned that I needed George's underwater camera. It took me back a bit because I realized I'm a bit obnoxious with my wonderful, new Canon EOS that Randy got me for Christmas and that I've taken thousands of pictures trying to get the perfect one. A question was posed to "Dear Abby" about a daughter asking..."why can't my mom put her camera down and just enjoy the grandkids." I know it's about as annoying as electronics in everyone's hands 24/7 but I guess my answer to this might be...."I don't want to miss a thing"....but I did go out into the ocean that day without the camera and I enjoyed it. I know the camera could never come near to capturing what I saw that day....the brilliance of the turquoise blue fish, the shiny silver school of fishys that swam by, the turtle that swam under me and the feeling of stillness, feeling like I was in an aquarium with these creatures. Feelings that a camera cannot capture, like this quote I found in an article on the airplane...."It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential, is invisible to the eye." So I could end this blog now and say....."I experienced Hawaii with my heart on many levels".....but, anyone that knows me, knows I couldn't put the camera down and I got thousands of perfect pictures so I'll share just a few....but there will be no rhyme or reason to this blog. Just fun pictures to help me remember the wonderful experience I had with my family.
My beach family....Kyle arranged this exchange several months ago and it has been amazing for them and all of us that get to share it with them. He teaches three days a week at BYU Hawaii....and plays the rest of the time.
Our wonderful Aloha welcome at the airport with the leis made by Emily and JoEllen. So good to see these kids. I've missed them so.
An afternoon at the swap meet on the way home to get the souvenir buying out of the way then on to our accommodations. This wonderful home up the hill at the North Shore.....but a quick change and we couldn't get down to the beach fast enough. My beach pictures are all out of order but we experienced Wiamea Bay that evening....later we would go to Three Tables and Pipeline and Wiamea again in the course of the week we were there.
Randy donned his snorkel equipment and was off....came back with a sea slug. Top center was Kyle's reaction after JoEllen tossed it to him and he thought it was a rock. He quickly tossed it back like a hot potatoe but the kids all enjoyed checking it out.
Some major cliff jumping was going on while the rest of us just explored the little caves and crevices around the rocks.
Over the course of the week we enjoyed the beach multiple times, kayaking, snorkeling, sand burying and just lounging....and yes, I did snorkel.....
...and I did see this fish. I got Matty this t-shirt 'cause she told me about this fish and she really could pronounce it....I can't but she can. "Humuhumunukunukuāpuaa" (click on it for the song about the state fish.)
At Pipeline, even though the waves were few and far between, everyone was patient waiting for the "big one" to ride to shore.
The kids have all adapted well to beach life....
Fearless.....not sure if that's good or bad but they certainly are enjoying life. Not sure they'll ever want to come back.
...especially Matty. I think she'll be the first surfer......bottom right, she's standing on the boogey board.
One of our really great finds was the seal that came by....even looked like he turned to pose for the camera.
The first morning we were there, we woke up to a beautiful, cool morning and took a walk around the neighborhood to see what we could see......
Beautiful place and I never tired of seeing the ocean as we traveled down the road....the many views of the ocean. Our much anticipated day of Parasailing would arrive but on the way, we stopped at Kualoa Ranch....a filming site for shows like Hawaii Five O and Lost.....
Did I mention Parasailing????? Yep, we did that too....
Please visit this link for a more detailed account of this adventure.  (http://wanderingwellsclan.blogspot.com/2014/05/parasailingwwwhhhhhaaat.html)
I think it's the bravest thing I've ever done....didn't have a bucket list before but now I do and I've crossed off the first item.
I do highly recommend this activity. Very easy and very fun....but, on a more relaxing note, we enjoyed the PCC....a must for all island visitors. I had done it once before when I came with Jean Jolley in 2001 but once again, learned a lot about the culture and enjoyed the atmosphere there....had a great time meeting and talking to the missionaries in the quilt store and ukulele  shop. Evan and George are learning to play and Dave who is a missionary there, gives them lessons. Randy and I even renewed our vows at the Tahitian Wedding.
Hula lessons, greeting one another Maori style, (top left), and an entourage of New Zealand visitors that participated in the ceremonies honoring their ancestors (bottom right)...a very humbling experience.
We enjoyed the luau in the evening and the show later that night...and speaking of eating, can't do a vacation blog without mentioning the dining experiences and we had a few of those.
We dined at Turtle Bay Ole restaurant, Kyle's favorite where they serve complimentary bread with truffle-infused butter and we enjoyed some fresh fish and a gorgeous view of the ocean (top right). Of course, Ted's Bakery is a must, home of the chocolate-haapia cream pie and breakfast at Hukilau Cafe. Not pictured is our lunch at Zippy's with Malasada....yum. Ours were coconut pudding infused. So good.
We enjoyed church with the family....and visiting after with some of the members there. We ran into some people from our former Silva Valley Ward here in El Dorado Hills....the Wagners and had a good visit with Dave Evans, the coach of the BYUH Basketball team. Such a small world in the LDS Church.
After church, Randy and I took off exploring...took a beautiful hike to Wiamea Falls.
The Punchbowl Cemetery was a very appropriate place to visit on Memorial Day....
...then down to the ocean to see the floating of the lanterns. Thousands of people show up to this ceremony and float commemorative lanterns (I don't have pictures but maybe JoEllen will post some).  wanderingwellsclan.blogspot.com  It was very impressive....to say the least.
Time for goodbyes....what a wonderful time we've had with this sweet family. This is an experience of a lifetime with them. I'm sure they will miss "island life" when they return to the mainland but it's been great to share it with them.....
The Hawaii Temple in Laie. Aloha...until we meet again and Maholo....for everything. It was all so very amazing. Can't think of any words to describe it. So many pictures....but I'll make a book so when I'm old, I can remember having "the time of my life" in Hawaii. It will take many times back here to experience all of the beauty of this island and this state. I definitely have it on my bucket list to return.

No comments: