Monday, November 10, 2008

Mr. Cool 50's guy....

....and that's as close as he ever got to dressing up for anything except church. He never was one to draw attention to himself. Even when he lost his hair, he figured the wig would cause more heads to turn than his bald head, so he tossed out the fake hair but he was who he was and never pretended to be anything different. He taught by example, let go of what he couldn't do anything about and judged no one. He wasn't perfect then, but he is now only because imperfections are buried with us and taken up to God to sort out. I'm sure he made mistakes but they are forgiven and forgotten. His sense of humor existed only in the fact that he didn't think he had one but he could make us laugh and he especially liked to laugh with us. He was funniest when he thought he was funny. My favorite memory of his laughter was watching him laugh outloud (I had to quiet him down) in a motel room in Europe watching "Home Alone" in German. He took life very seriously at a very young age and worked hard to earn money to help out his Mom and his brothers and paying his own way, all while getting really good grades in school and taking hard classes. He had friends, and he had fun but he had his goals and the friends and fun never got in the way of those goals......(there were a couple of close calls though). I'm just thinking about him this week so thought I'd post the coolest picture I could find of him. I'll put more on later but I thought this picture wreaked of coolness....and the sideburns are real. It's from a 50's party while we were in Pullman, Washington. I also wanted to post a picture of his GQ-ness. He was voted "Best Dressed" in high school you know, and wore ironed pants and starched Gant shirts and shined, wing-tip shoes every day. He would have been 59 this coming Sunday, November 16.

4 comments:

Spencer said...

I wish that I dressed nicer, and I've always had to defer to Mason when it comes to fashion, but I chose a long time to pursue a career that allowed me to work in pajamas - and that's where I am. Dad did look nice, maybe I'll have to step up my "up-keep" a bit. Thanks Mom.

oldest son said...

Sure liked to visit with Scott. Had a lot of fun with him around the black hill where the dairy was, and at the pond up at the place my dad had when we were growing up. Charles.

Staheli said...

Thanks mom. You always put it into words so well. I remember that laugh and I love it too. I also remember that he was hilarious when he thought he was being funny. The picture of him by the locker always shocked me because it's just how Dad always was. He didn't let anything change who he was even back then. I love reading your blog.

Mindi said...

i love the side-burn photo. and i concur--he looks VERY GQ in that photo.

i remember when he was sporting the bald head and i thought it was the coolest look. he was cool way before michael jordan made it cool. ahead of his time.