Saturday, July 11, 2009

Our house, is a very, very, very fine house...

.......with two cats in the yard, life used to be so hard; now everything is easy, 'cause of you....

Those are some words to a song that I like and I never really knew the words but my life is easy because of my good husband and this house that he built for us 28 years ago. (and I actually do have 2 cats in the yard; I don't know who they belong to but they come around once in a while). Sometimes I get mad.....at my house and because he isn't here to help me take care of this house but I'm trying my best. I need to try harder but I love my house and it is a very, very fine house. I found a journal that Scott kept for a few years and read what he wrote about building this fine house so thought I might share it with you, whoever you are that reads this blog; hopefully some of my family will find joy in these words: "On July 15, 1981 we moved into our new home and spent our first night. It took 3 months and 7 days to complete the house. I figure total cost at this point to be $55,384.00. That’s for 1800 square feet completed with 456 square feet of garage complete and 1400 square feet of basement that is totally framed and will require approximately $4 - 6,000.00 to complete. I therefore figure I built a very elegant house for about $20.00 a square foot when the going rate for bid would be at least $35.00 and closer to $40 per square foot for the quality of house I own. During the last month I worked nearly 16 hours a day, 8 hours at the office and then 8 hours at the house. I did the sub floor particle board, hung some of the doors, did the base board and casing, painted the entire house, did all of the soffit and gables. It was a lot of work but very rewarding." And so I need you to know that I appreciate this house and I appreciate my husband for seeing that I have a nice house. This is the month, 8 years ago that he was dying and it is a very sad month for me but I'm counting my blessings and my 5 children and their families are at the top of that list but this very, very fine home is up there as well and I love it when this home is filled with those 5 kids and their families.

6 comments:

Karen M. said...

Jilyn that is such a great tribute and memory you shared about your wonderul Scott. I wish I could have known him, Mason speaks fondly of his dad and the memories they made together. It is fun to get to know Scott through his youngest son. I bet they were a lot alike. It was fun to see you out on the town as well. Us old ladies do get around don't we! Ha!

Anonymous said...

This is a GREAT house, and the cabin is a GREAT cabin. We were fortunate to grow up having both. Thanks dad for making that possible. Thanks mom for bringing this to our attention.

Penny said...

That house has a lot of memories for thousands of people who you have let into your house and into your lives. I am so glad that Scott keep a journal of things like that.

Diana said...

I remember when you moved from that little house over on the west side of town to your beautiful new home. I never knew how much work Scott really did and now I do. It truly is a fine house which has been filled with laughter and tears over the years. It will always be your house... even if someone else lives there someday. I don't have to think very hard to see you and Scott sitting on the porch watching the sunset. My thoughts are with you as you go through this difficult month.

Spencer said...

Another quality entry, Mom. Again, I didn't know Dad did that much work on the house - no wonder he took it so personal when he found out we were using the entire basement as our dart board.

Staheli said...

Wow, thanks so much for that mom. I had no idea what dad went through to get that house. You're a good women for supporting him through it all and taking care of those crazy boys of yours. If there's one thing I've learned about child rearing and home remodeling it's that sometimes it's harder keeping the kids entertained and away than it is painting the house. I love you mom. I love your blog. I love how you honor dad.