Thursday, July 9, 2009

Procrastination is my sin.....

....... it brings me endless sorrow; I really must stop doing it, in fact, I’ll stop tomorrow….
I’m a procrastinator, always have been always will be but lately I’ve decided that it could possibly be a good thing, especially if I call it something that gives it a more positive flare like “constructive procrastination”, you know, kind of like “constructive criticism”. Then I got to thinking that criticism ISN’T constructive; criticism is criticism…so I didn’t really like that so then I decided maybe I could call mine “productive procrastination”. I liked that a lot better because while putting off a lot of things that I really need to do, I made this fine little child’s hat yesterday and most of today. Pretty cool, huh…..but what didn’t get done and hasn’t gotten done for 3 weeks now are a few things that I’ve been…um…..procrastinating. The Funk and Wagnall’s behind the chair are becoming a permanent fixture and the glassware on my desk from cleaning out my china hutch many weeks ago really must go……but no. Seems there’s no one putting a deadline on me to get these things done. Lauri asked me several weeks ago to make her some blankets for the Dove Center and then when she mentioned it again today, I went right to it…..putting down my knitting to accomplish a “procrastinated task”. Some say they work better under pressure or love the exhilaration that comes from pushing a deadline. Not me….none of those apply. I just don’t get around to doing things in a timely manner. Procrastinators miss out on a lot of stuff. I’m bidding for something on E-bay….there’s 4 hours left….I should get to the computer within those 4 hours and put down one last bid….but nope…..I procrastinate and usually it’s a good thing I miss out on that. Yesterday there were $90 tickets on Southwest Airline. Did I get in under the deadline? Nope….missed out on that (probably a good thing. Sometimes procrastination has to do with not being able to make decisions. That applies to me as well). Do I shop sales? Not on your life……I procrastinate going to the grocery store more than anything else in the whole world. I only go when ABSOLUTELY necessary (and I don’t do the day after Thanksgiving or the day after Christmas thing but I don’t think procrastination is the reason. I just don’t like getting up that early. Or maybe it is procrastination…I procrastinate getting up in the mornings.) The same with laundry, cleaning bathrooms, changing sheets etc….so there you have it…all the things I procrastinate….however, I seldom ever just “do nothing” but I’m always putting off something that needs to get done so I’m going to call myself a “productive procrastinator” for the time being and tomorrow, I’m going to procrastinate my knitting and put those blasted books in the trunk of my car and haul them to DI or to Mason’s empty bookshelf……maybe…… Anybody out there in blogland want a perfectly fine set of Funk and Wagnalls? I wouldn’t want you to miss out on this offer so don’t procrastinate…….give me a call......

1 comment:

Dustin & Angie Drake said...

I've got a solution to one of your problems: gavelsnipe.com. It's free to register, and it places your ebay bids for you during the last few seconds so that you're most likely to win. You record your maximum bid, and it places your bids in small increments, ensuring you're the highest bidder without going over your maximum bid. It's awesome!