Friday, March 30, 2012

85 and still very much alive...

...and very loved as exhibited by the streams of well-wishers that came today. What started out to be just a little cake and ice-cream at the house in case anyone stops by turned into a full-blown birthday party. Mom has spent her life serving others and some of those that have been touched by her generosity came by to wish her well today. It has been a wonderful day to pay tribute to a very deserving person.
The cake was beautiful but the highlight of the day was this morning; as she was reprimanding me for going through her cupboards looking for something, I happened on her patriarchial blessing nestled amongst some genealogy sheets. I said..."...hey, I've never seen this before. It's your patriarchal blessing". She had a tizzy fit on the spot, says she thought it had been lost forever or burned somewhere. It drew tears in all of us as we read it and saw, after all these years how the promises in it had been fulfilled through all of her kind and loving service to others. What she thought was a very plain, inconsequential blessing turned out to have a world of meaning to her on this 85th milestone.
It was great to spend the day with my mom today. I loved every minute of it.
Whew....I'm tired but it's been a really, really fun day celebrating

1 comment:

Staheli said...

Hooray for Grandma!