Tuesday, December 7, 2010

It's usually the food....


.....that makes something memorable or worth experiencing and that's what I've found in my life, regrettably, but it's a good thing, if done in moderation. Scott and I learned the art of fine dining from Uncle Mark as he was the first one to introduce us to a "Five Star Restaurant" when we visited him in Fresno a long time ago. It was the first time that a maitre d' unfolded the napkin for me and put it on my lap. It was Mark who first introduced me to lobster when he came to visit us after we had moved to Pullman and I've continued to try and have it on each anniversary as in those "lean" years I only got it once a year. I think what Scott must have loved about all the traveling we did was the opportunity to try "exotic" food.
I soon made a few rules for myself; I eat nothing that still has eyes on it and I eat nothing that should be cooked but hasn't been. I still love fine dining and I especially like to try new places and new flavors.
Joyce and I venture out once a week and we usually hit the same old faves, Olive Garden, Electric Cafe (now Capelletti's), Pasta Factory, Paulas.....but we've discovered a new favorite, the Bent Fork (click to see more) and we went there today, only because they have Cider Onion Soup on Tuesdays and of course, we've become connoisseurs of Tiramisu and they have the best. Not made in-house, but we don't care. It equals Olive Garden's and it's liberally soaked in whatever they soak it in (yes, I know it's coffee and probably rum so there could be W of W issues) but we really like it a lot. So, I'm giving my review: We first walk in the door and they treat us as "regulars" probably because we are and we have preferential seating, by the window, and the waiter pretty much knows us by name (actually we haven't told him our names) but he talks to us like we're old friends. He promptly gives us our water and is very accommodating to our "When Harry Met Sally" type of ordering and asks us two or three times if everything is o.k. The Cider Onion Soup was better this week than last week, but probably because we've been thinking about it all week and we asked if we could have dessert with the meal so we could take this picture. That's about it for my review. I've looked up Cider Onion Soup recipes but probably won't try it....just hold out for the best. I give the Bent Fork 5 huge stars today. (The Honey Mustard on the side was the best I've ever had!!!!!)

After lunch, we ventured out on the new interchange south of town that goes out to the new airport.
Sorry, Spence. We just took the wrong road while you were here. Lots of growth taking place in our little town.

Speaking of fine dining, while Spencer was here, he hit his favorites (Cafe Rio and Pasta Factory) and we reminisced about the times of the BEST dining in St. George. We both agree that we really miss The Gable House and a yummy Dickens Rib Sandwich. What are your favorites??????

3 comments:

Staheli said...

Russ and I didn't think we'd have any problems finding good food here but now days we prefer to eat at home. We miss all the usual's of St. george, plus "ah sushi" "caputos" "sugar house BBQ" and "the rusted sun" in SLC

Camie said...

I have been so curious of that place but now you have me salivating for the soup. Sounds like its a must try next time I am in town, which will probably be soon. The thing I like about eating out is I don't have to cook it :)

Diana said...

Well, friend, I haven't looked at your blog in many-a-day. So I took the time tonight to catch up. Loved all your blog. I miss Scott too. I'm glad you had a last shot at a wonderful Kentucky Thanksgiving. So many adventures you have! Can't wait to eat at the Bent Fork and take a ride to see the new airport with ya. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Tiramisu! I really don't care what's in it! I'll call you soon.