Saturday, March 12, 2011

There's lots to cheer about...

.....and I got in a lot of stuff this week-end as I traveled north for several reasons. Maycee participated in a cheer competition at the Salt Palace....

These little kids really ripped it up on that stage...so fun to watch her in action. Friday night I "cheered" my friend Diana on as she performed in this: OMGsh, it was amazing....I can't remember when I've been to such an entertaining night and listened to so many Broadway tunes in one place sung by so many talented people from the emcees to the musicians to the members of the choir. It was just an amazing evening...and I've become a huge fan of just one more group that I'll need to follow and travel north for. Kudos, Diana....ya made me proud. It was so good to see you. Wonderful evening. I also got to check on baby Lucy and make sure her parents are taking good care of her and I'm glad to report that they are doing just fine. All is well in that household. Thanks for letting me stop by and a great big thanks to Cynthia and Laura for letting me crash with them at Little America. I should have taken a picture but didn't. Ya gotta love that Little America; I sure do.
********************************
We celebrated Traci's birthday with her favorite red velvet cake from Costco. She made us do it!!!! It was so yummy.

Speaking of Traci, today is her birthday and she happens to share it not only with Dale Murphy, Derrill Strawberry, Emily Wells and many others, but with Girl Scouts. She was born on the 73rd anniversary of the founding of the Girl Scout organization and because of that.....she got a quilt made by several girl scouts and a membership into the organization at the age of 5 (which she didn't use).....and she and I got our picture in the paper.

It's probably not good for me to have so much time on my hands as I travel down the interstate because every song I hear reminds me of something....and my mind just goes back in time to so many good memories. Every song took me back to something and a couple of them reminded me of dances Traci did in high school and it was good to think about her on this special day and as I called her, it was good to hear that she had a great day celebrating with her family. Traci is a person that values happiness....and as this family can attest (Joyce, is that the proper use of that word?), we are all happier when she is happy (and it usually means fed and rested)....but I have watched her conquer her moods and learn what she has to do to be happy most of the time. She strives for "joy"....and brings a lot of joy to those around her. She has taught me a lot about what I need to do when I get down on myself. Thanks Traci, for your good example and I hope you had a great birthday. You are loved.
*********************************
Speaking of Girl Scouts......luck would have it that the service station where I stopped to gas up was, you guessed it.....selling Girl Scout Cookies (and I'm saying that with a song in my voice) because I've been looking high and low for someone to sell them to me. As I mentioned the kinds I wanted, they handed me a box of my three favorites....wow, what a great marketing strategy, Girl Scouts!!!! Better to sell 3 boxes than just one and there must be a lot of people out there that like the same three that I do. Take my little survey at the top and let's see how many of us like the same ones.
*************************
Speaking of baseball....because March 12 is also Dale Murphy's birthday and he is one of our favorite baseball players....it was always the Sunshine Tournament (or Pizza Hut Classic) on Traci's birthday and it was a part of our lives for a lot of years and as I drove into town tonight, the lights were on at Flyer Field and Elk's Field and the tournaments were in full swing....and it brought back a lot of memories of our days designing t-shirts for those events. I just HAD to come home and pull them out and post them on this blog in memory of all our good ol' baseball times. Now go get yerself a Girl Scout Cookie and eat it in honor of this day, March 12. Oh, and I think it's time to move our clocks forward....did ya do that? (Wow, this was a long post).

3 comments:

Staheli said...

What a post! I loved every bit of it. So did Max, he's kicking with joy right now. I love you mom. Thanks for the tribute, you are too kind.

Penny said...

Joel has a couple of those shirts too. I love this past weekend. It always makes all of southern Utah come alive. It's the start of spring.

Unknown said...

how many of those t-shirts do you have? I think I need to make you a quilt for mother's day....