Sunday, April 3, 2011

Is there a doctor in the house...

.....or perhaps I might entitle this post..."Home Remedies", whatever the case may be I needed one or the other this past week but I took it as a "hint" from my body that it was time to slow down and take a breather (or several naps, which I did) and I'm feeling quite chipper. I had a terrible cold that turned into a sore throat yesterday....and my memories of childhood flooded back with a vengeance and I made sure I DID NOT CALL MY MOM...as her "home remedy" back in the day when I complained of a sore throat was her finger wrapped in gauze dipped in this (Mercurachrome, or methiolate or something like that) stuck down my throat (if she could catch me) to swab my tonsils. (Click on the picture to learn more about it if you want to try it on your kid some time). I learned very quickly to keep my sore throats to myself, which is what I did yesterday. (It was so bad I think I may have swabbed it myself if I had the right stuff) but it's gone today. Another nasty home remedy I remember is a "mustard plaster" which is something my mom would whip up and put in a folded dish towel and place on our chest. I didn't mind it so much but the smell was atrocious and in case you want to try that one, click HERE to see how it works. (If you are really serious about it click HERE for a video that will show you how). It has something to do with drawing the heat out of your body so please be sure to follow the instructions. Be sure to let me know how it goes.

O.k. so the best remedy of all is to just have a doctor in the house and a few years back, I got sick on one of my visits to Kentucky and Spencer just hooked me up with some fluids....best remedy ever. Don't know why they don't just sell an IV fluid pack at the drugstore. Not only the best "home remedy" but the quickest. I snapped right out of it within hours.

Speaking of "quick fixes", the best ever ebelskivers can fix anything and JoEllen made some this morning and shared with me. I'm sure they are exactly what got me going today and she is now the official ebelskiver maker of the family....sorry to say folks, but they are better than Grandma Rose's. Bring 'em on JoEllen, I'll never turn them down again. (I was too lazy to go over to their house so Kyle brought them to me). Maybe if you make some for Mason he will get well real soon.

I do hope whoever reads this is staying well....if not...you have some great "home remedies" here and if you have any you'd like to share, please feel free. Just wash your hands a lot....I think it's been a good long time since George has been sick (OCD about handwashing but it has paid off, knock on wood).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am truly honored to hear you think my "evilskiers" (Kyle's text said evilskiers are ready)are better than Grandma Rose's!I think I will start making them on conference Saturday though, instead of Sunday- that was just way too much yummy breakfast followed by way too much yummy lunch!

joycew said...

Home remedies were fine in their day but I am all for good old medical science and technology. You truly will have "a doctor in the house" soon. (I need a shot in my shoulder, Spencer...can you please be my "doctor in the house", too?)

xomom said...

YUCK! Yuck to your being sick and yuck to the home remedies! I remember the throat swab with metholade (sp??). That stuff isn't even legal anymore. Any ache, cut, burn, tear and out came the red burny stuff. I don't miss it, but my dad sure does.