Friday, April 15, 2011

A whole lot of celebratin' goin' on...

.....for the Centennial of Dixie High School and Dixie State College. The town comes alive this time of year anyway as we are heading into spring and the north is still snowed in. Tonight was "State Champion" night at Flyer Field and they invited all of the team members of the State Championship Teams. It was fun to remember those "baseball days" and the good times we had. It was good to see the guys lined up again and watch their little kids run around...I guess baseball did teach some pretty good life lessons afterall. ...and it was awfully good to see Doug Jolley and his wife and two little kids again after all these years. These guys spent a lot of time in our home through their high school years and it's so good to see what they've done with their lives. Spencer was on the 1994 team and Mason was on the '95 and '97. *********************************************

Since it's also the Centennial Celebration of Dixie State College, they invited a few former D-Day Queens back to judge the contest this year....and I was privileged to be one of them. It was really a lot of fun and gave me a bit of a diversion from my "usual stuff" for an afternoon away from my phone. I think we actually really did pick the right one. BTW....I wasn't the right on 41 years ago but I'm mighty glad it was me. It's been a little "piece of Dixie" that I've been able to have with me all my life.
Miller and I went looking for the Easter Bunny last Thursday and we found him.....
...and Aunt Joyce stopped by to meet Lucy...

....and she smiled. A little grainy but I had to post it. Such a cute picture of one of her first "real" smiles.

It's been good to have Lucy (and her parents) in the house again for the past couple of days.

3 comments:

Staheli said...

Oh my goodness...so much fun going on. I love the pictures, I love the memories..thanks mom!

Penny said...

Josh has Mr. Ivey as his school teacher and he loves to look at the baseball pictures that hang up in his room. When he saw the one of Mason he told Kirt that we were related to him. Burke and Kirt had all of the trophies and memorabilia over to the Elementary that morning polishing them up for the celebration that night and they wouldn't let the kids touch them. it was pretty funny.

xomom said...

what do you mean you weren't the right one to be D Day Queen??? You, more than anyone else at Dixie had the spirit, the friends, and the love for the all things Dixie...you still do!