Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Been to the movies lately?

I've probably seen more movies in the last 8 months than I have throughout my whole life but I've come to really enjoy most of them. One that has become my favorite is "Lincoln"....I had just read "Killing Lincoln" by Bill O'Reilly and really liked it and learned a lot but I absolutely loved this movie. This is what JoEllen wrote on a recent e-mail to the family:

"We just saw Lincoln, Kyle for the 2nd time. I thought it was a fantastic movie, I hope it wins every award it has been nominated for..
Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln reminded me so much of Scott that I cried through most of it. I just wanted to share these emotions, these memories that have been stirred up in me about what a great man he is. He was deliberate in his words and his actions. He saw the big picture, he had a great eternal perspective. He was jovial and fun loving in a quiet way, not wanting to draw attention to himself. You could see his love and respect for you, or for whomever he was with, through his eyes. He loved to spend time with his kids, and they were his priority. (the harsh relationship with his eldest wasn't true to Scott though).
He was such a great man, and I know I didn't know him for long, not nearly long enough, but I miss him and this movie helped me remember all the greatness that he had in him.
If you haven't seen it yet, you should."


I appreciated that insight and hadn't thought of it but when I was watching the movie, I remembered that Daniel Day Lewis was one of Scott's favorite actors and he actually won the Golden Globe for his performance in this movie. Then, I got to thinking about how much Scott enjoyed his movies in his years of recovering; sometimes he would watch the same movie two or three times in just a matter of a few days. I did a post a few years back that I would like to refer to so click HERE if your are interested in remembering what my children thought were his favorite movies.
********************************
And now, are you all enjoying Downton Abbey? We are, for sure. Not sure why this has caught on but when I was watching an interview with the characters by Katie Curic the other day, one of the actresses said very eloquently that it is just a show about people trying to be good (except Thomas).....but I think we enjoy seeing how another class of people live and I have to say, I enjoy thinking about the history of it and as absurd as it seems to us, it was real....the people seem real to me and I enjoy the writing, the acting, the "soap opera like" story lines, which we all really have a bit of in our lives don't we? Don't really know why, but so enjoying it and I figure they are opening enough story lines to last forever....so "Go Downton".....we're in it for the long haul. Reminds me a bit when the world got hooked on "Dallas".....
********************
P.S. Not normally my kind of movie but I liked "Jack Reacher"......I'm just sayin'.....

1 comment:

xomom said...

What a beautiful, insightful, description of Scott. And a true one. As I read it I was thinking, "Yea, that's exactly right." Thanks for sharing your thoughts JoEllen.