Saturday, May 2, 2009

Mine That Bird.....

....won the Kentucky Derby. Didja watch it? I did and I like to every year but the 8 years my kids have been going to school in Louisville, I've only driven past Churchill Downs but last year we did drive into the parking lot so I did get a closer look. It's pretty fascinating to me because when I was little, my Grandpa Sullivan got into horse racing. (Picture to the left is in Parowan and the horse is "Bubble Pike"). He took my cousin Linda and me to Prescott, Arizona (Picture on the bottom is in Prescott and the horse is "Proud Leigh")to the horse races and we got to ride in his big cadillac and I thought we'd stay in some fancy motel with a pool, but we didn't. He got us a little quaint wood house for a motel....which was pretty fun but nothin' like I thought we'd be stayin' in 'cause I thought my grandpa was real rich.... and he probably was but just "tight" I s'pose.....but we went to the races and it was hot and he bought us pop and treats and stuff (and he let us place a bet) and we ran around a lot then it was time for the races and before I could get over there to watch, it was over. So, I know why they say the Kentucky Derby is the most famous 2 minutes of sports in the United States. It was fun to see an upset today.....the second biggest in the history of the Derby is what they are sayin'. (Wonder what the biggest upset was). I guess if I was really into it, I'd know but I'm not....just for today....and just 'cause my kids live in Louisville. So, there you have it. My 2 cents on horse racin'. I'm actually really afraid of horses....I got thrown when I was a teenager with Laurette on with me (the little 5 year old neighbor girl). I thought she was gonna die when we hit the ground but we made it through and I've never felt the same about horses. That was on Joe....then there was Blaze. (Or maybe Blaze came first....whatever). My dad kept his horse in Pine Valley and we all loved ridin' it but I've always been afraid and probably always will be.....but I try. They say the horse knows when yer scared.....guess that's what's always stuck with me. I can't fool no horse....so I just don't try.







2 comments:

Diana said...

I got thrown and knocked unconscious when I was a kid, but then I finally got my own horse and loved it. Sure love sharin' yer memories. I have been wishin' I could find a stable around here that let people ride. I'l like to try again!

Staheli said...

That's cool that you went to a race. I bet there's a lot I don't know about your past. I love reading what you have to say. And I love the pictures. Thanks mom.