Friday, June 19, 2009

I can do hard things....

......and I know that (but I don't like to) because I had an English teacher in 9th grade that taught me that. She's about the only teacher I really remember. I remember the others as people, but to this day I can see Beth Syphus, up there in front of that classroom and I can hear her in my mind and I can feel the feelings I had back then just before I had to stand and recite the 125 line poem that I had to memorize and because of her I can recite the most important part of Invictus........"It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul." I owe it to her that I love words.....and I remember well how we had to do the "Word Power" exercises in Reader's Digest. To this day, whenever I'm reading, I notice the words I don't know and most times I will look them up. She was a true educator and her class was hard and if I could have, I would have dropped out or changed teachers. She had a reputation for being a "hard" teacher....so what's my point? I can do hard things.....and I did that last night. I had a sleep-over with all of my grandchildren. (Well, actually 7 slept over, the 2 youngest went home with their mom's and Traci's 2 were in Salt Lake) none the less, it was hard.
But like Mrs. Syphus' class, it will be memorable. Because I choose to do something hard, I hope that I will remember it but mostly I want them to remember me and hopefully appreciate the fact that I was willing to do it for them and to have fun (I hope they had fun. I tried really hard). I saw a little segment on Studio 5 that showed a lady having a "Grandma Camp" with all of her grandchildren and it sounded really fun so I wanted to start that tradition. I hope this was the "First Annual Crazy Cousin's Camp" and not the "only" Crazy Cousins Camp. Hopefully by next summer I will forget how hard it was. Anyway, it was exhausting but hopefully successful. We started with a PowWow where I gathered them together and tried to talk to them.....big joke, but we sang a song then off we went. Activities included T-shirt creations, hot-dog supper, a trip to Snow Shack, lots of jumping on the trampoline and playing in the basement, then bustin' the dance moves for our "Rockin' Awesome Dance Video" (which is yet to be produced. I'm too tired.) All I can say, it was hard but fun. Lauri helped make it easier and now it's Lauri's "Going Away to College" fundraiser yard sell (and it's already hard but she needs some money. Sometimes money is the motivating force to do hard things). I've got to muster up the energy. Peace out......What are some hard things you've done lately or not-so-lately?

6 comments:

Camie said...

I am glad you will do hard things...and I Know your grandkids are glad too. I love 'Grandparents Camp.' I am not sure if you could talk my parents into it though. Hard things I have done lately, mmm...ropes course, saying goodbye to my family once again, flying alone with kids....just a few of the things that are hard for me. But hard things are definitely good for us.

joycew said...

I hate to admit it but sometimes just getting up in the morning is hard! But my hard thing is going to the gym a couple of times a week. And, this mother-in-law thing is not easy, either!

joycew said...

p.s. I also remember Beth Syphus, especially when she coached me on how to recite a poem at 9th Grade graduation...now THAT was hard!

Staheli said...

Wow that looks so dang fun. I'm excited for next year, maybe Scotty will be able to join in on the fun. The hardest thing that I have to do is disciplining Scott. It's getting harder cause he's getting smarter.

Diana said...

Kudos, girl. You DID IT! I got through a week with four of my g-babies, but it was just tending and not too much fun, I fear. I want to do "Cousins Camp" for mine too. Got to muster the courage. I loved Mrs. Syphus - she also was my favorite teacher of all time. I have often told my family and others that I learned more about the English language in 9th Grade than I ever did in college. I can think back an smell the desks, see the blackboard with all the "words," and still picture the paper with the 500 spelling words. I sat on the back row with Roger Zidemon (can't remember how to spell his last name). She was hard and I can do hard things too...sometimes!

Laynee said...

that was a pretty fun camp!!!
thanks grandma!!! love ya!!