Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My neighbors of 26 years...

....and my friends from forever ago just drove away today headed to Billings Montana to serve as mission presidents. As I write this through tears I can't help but think how great it's been to have them here. Though we could go months without seeing each other, it's just nice knowing there's good folks around that you can call on at 4:00 in the morning when your husband has fainted and you're scared....or someone to call when the pipes break and you're all alone. Carol Ann and I became good friends in high school, then roommates at Utah State University then neighbors where we raised our kids together, them feeling like they were more family than friends. Larry and Scott were best friends in high school and they left for their missions on the same day, driving away together alone in Scott's mom's car to go to the MTC by themselves. They came home together and we all got married in the same year (us in March and Larry and Carol Ann in April). We've laughed together, shared tough times together, and borrowed a lot.....me more than her. She has a regular grocery store in her basement but most of all, they are both wonderful, wonderful people that will touch a lot of lives and do much good for that area and for our church. There's no one that can captivate an audience like Larry Gardner with his stories and knowledge of the scriptures intertwined to bear fervent testimony....and though Carol Ann claims she's not going up there to cook and clean, I know she'll be cookin' 'cause that's what she does. Her many scrapbook-sized looseleafs with recipes in them won't go to waste. So I bid farewell with mixed emotions....happy for them....sad for me. Good luck and God bless, good friends. Good byes are so hard......

3 comments:

Diana said...

Are those tears in your eyes? I got tears in my eyes just reading your post and seeing Carol Ann kissing her grandbaby. Ouch! Are they going to keep the same email address? Or when you get an address for them, please share. Thanks for your sweet words.

Camie said...

Its not a goodbye, just a see you later! They are some pretty unique and special people.

CNeilson said...

I feel the same . . . "happy for them, sad for me". I'm sure it will be a great 3 years, though, for everyone! Thanks for your help with the kids today while we helped them get on the road.