Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Pitter pat, pitter pat, it's a rainy day (night)....

...I'll dress up nice and warm and go outside to play. I'll get my coat and bumbershoot, on each foot I'll put a boot, grab my gloves and grab my hat and go out in the pitter pat.
Mindi mentioned this songbook on her blog and it got me singing these songs all over again, even tonight at 2:12 am. while I'm lying in bed trying to sleep, listening to the "pitter pat" outside my window. I grew up with this book (clickety click on the book if you would like to own one)....learned all the songs (well most of them, some of them I just didn't like) and I sing them to my grand children now but this has to be one of my favorites. I'm always wondering about the word "bumbershoot" though. Click HERE to see what I found. Cool word. I use it often.... (in my mind. "Where did I put my &%#$@ bumbershoot?") the 3 times a year it rains here. That's why I love it so. If I'm out of town and it's raining but it's also raining in St. George, I feel like I'm really missing out and I want to hurry home but by the time I get home it's not raining any more and won't for a few more months so tonight found me out in the 'hood with my nightgown (covered with my long, black winter coat of course) and my bumbershoot, breathing in the fresh, moisture soaked air. Aw....nothing like Dixie rain. I love it. But it will be bright and sunny tomorrow and everything will feel fresh and new and my daffodils are happy.

1 comment:

Melia said...

I love that song, too. My kids think I am a nut for singing songs from that fabulous book. Love it.