Sunday, February 7, 2010

Are ya ready to rumble........

....and it is Super Bowl Sunday. Doesn't really mean a heck uv' a lot to me other than I do get caught up in the national "hype" of things. It actually means a little more since I saw the movie "The Blind Side" and read the book (which I loved and really have learned a lot about the game).Though football isn't a big part of my life right now, it has been. None of my boys played in high school but they did a little flag football at times and it was always fun going to those games. However, I have to go even further back and remember that football was our life in high school and I was married to a member of the famous "Class of '68" state championship team....left guard #71. Lots of good memories and lessons learned from the game. I was also a member of a football team....the Powder Puff Football Team...(we're lookin' pretty tuff.....somebody forgot to tell Carol Ann to not smile).

You know the saying "If you don't write about it (or take a picture,) it's as if it never happened?" Well, if I didn't have these pictures to prove it, it's as if it never happened because I don't remember a thing....except that Carol Ann couldn't play because she had had an appendectomy the week before. I think I must have not liked it very much or I would remember more.....also, I think I would have remembered it if I had made a touchdown or thrown a pass.....but I probably just went through the motions to be a part of the fun (?) and prayed that the ball would never come to me. It says on my little page in my scrapbook that "we won" so that had to have been fun....winning is always fun you know.

*****************************
......and years later, once again football became a big part of our lives as we followed Doug Jolley's NFL football career. Mason and I got to go to Oakland to watch him play, then Spencer, Mason and I went from Louisville down to Nashville to a game.....pretty exciting times.

....so whether it's just for the party of it all or the commercials (or the competition) enjoy the day and realize that football isn't going anywhere soon so we might as well embrace it....(or not). Let the games begin.......

10 comments:

Spencer said...

Best seats in the house...I could see all of Tennessee from where we were!

Diana said...

I loved football then and now. I missed the gang photo, but I'm #63 in the yearbook one. Those were the days. Great photos. I don't give a hoot about professional, but John and I were able to go to SuperBowl 38 in Houston. That was in 2004. It wasn't that great, but it's when Janet Jackson had the "wardrobe malfunction." We were in the nosebleed section and couldn't see a thing - only learned about it later on the news. Have a good week.

Karen M. said...

I watch the football once a year on Super Bowl Sunday, much to my honey's chagrin! He watches too but feels guilty because it is Sunday and we always have a party somewhere! Enjoyed the day with family, food, and a great game, March on Saints!

Intro to Investments said...

I don't get much credit for being Doug's 7th grade flag football coach but I tell people that he's my prodigy.

Staheli said...

Love this pictures, that's a very studly one of dad....GO CLASS OF '68 APPARENTLY THE GREATEST HIGH SCHOOL CLASS EVER!

Spencer said...

Traci,

It's not "Apparently the Greatest class ever"...it's OBVIOUSLY the greatest class ever. Have learned nothing as a Wells.

joycew said...

I beg to differ on this "Greatest class ever" business. If I were a blogger it would be apparent that the Class of '72 at least ties with the Class of '68. You'll just have to take my word on it, cuz I'm not blogging.

xomom said...

Sorry Joyce, but here is one more vote for the AMAZING, SUPER-DUPER, BETTER THAN AVERAGE, CLASS OF '68!

Laynee said...

"When comes such another?"...right?

Jillyn said...

You got that right Laynee. Your dad has coached you well.