Sunday, February 14, 2010

"Endings are sad......

.....beginnings are scary. It's what's in the middle that counts"....so goes a quote from one of my favorite movies "Hope Floats".....and this is definitely a hard ending as Traci and Russ pick up and move to North Carolina. My heart is heavy with sadness but my spirit is happy with excitement so I think the combined emotion of sad and happy could be called "sappy". I'm excitied for their new adventure. As we all know, it's the hard things in life that bring us growth and experience and they definitely are in for some exciting times ahead. Russ got hired at Duke University Medical Center, his official title being Management Engineer Program Analyst and they will head out in a few days. They've loved their home in West Bountiful.

My mind goes back to the day Kyle and JoEllen moved to Tucson. They had established themselves in a little ward in Sandy that needed them and they had really been making a difference there.....but they too, needed to grow and move on and had some great experiences in Tucson. It's good to be on the move....new people to meet, new things to see....o.k. I'm about done convincing myself that it's o.k. I've spent a couple of days saying my goodbyes, visiting a few people from my mission at the Church Office Building, having lunch with my good friend Diana and hangin' with my girls. It's been a fun week-end. I'm home now, enjoying my daffodils as they one by one, come out to greet us with warm wishes for new beginnings......so to you Traci, I give you a daffodil....it has always represented "hope" after the dark days of winter as it was in the spring that your father finally realized he was going to live to see his family grow. As we sat out in the sun one spring day, a lonely daffodil bloomed and brought us joy and that first daffodil has always had a special place in my heart. As with the daffodil principle, one can make a difference. You will be missed but you and Russ will make a difference in North Carolina. Keep smilin'....you'll be to the "middle" soon and that's what really counts.

3 comments:

Diana said...

I guess you made it home safely. I'm happy for Traci and Russ, but with them not here... well, you'll have less excuses to come north! Thanks for yummy lunch. Hope you had a good Valentines... special treats on your porch??

Karen M. said...

What a sweet tribute to your Traci, I know how hard it is to let children go on to their lives. We miss out on so much when they do, but they grow that way and in the end so do we, and hey you have a new place to go visit now, and I know how much you love to travel! Be happy, momma wells

Penny said...

Love, Love, LOVE DUKE!!!! They are getting there just in time to see all of the awesome basketball games. Duke is lucky to have Russ. Good Luck Russ and Traci!