Saturday, February 26, 2011

I wish I could have known her....

....my beautiful grandmother. (Her birth date is Feb. 27, not 26). She is Sarah Ida Webb, mother of my mother and was the 8th child of William Webb (who changed his name from Babcock on his arrival from England) and Amelia Jarvis. Ida was born in St. George, Utah, on February 27, 1885. She was raised in St. George and attended college there. She taught school in Rockville, Utah before moving to Hurricane to teach. Her parents were both English converts--pioneers to Dixie. Ida describes her parents as "good, God-fearing people, who loved the gospel." Ida, herself, was very intelligent and very pretty.

She married my grandfather, Frank Barber on September 15, 1909 in the St. George Temple. My mother was the youngest of 8 children. My grandmother died when my mom was only 2 years old, leaving my grandpa to go it alone. Sometimes when I'm feeling sorry for myself, I just think of my grandpa and how he must have felt losing his wife in the midst of raising their family. It's been good to think of my ancestors and learn a little bit more about them and wonder which family members look like them. I think my mom looks most like my grandmother.

Here they are with the two oldest boys, Webb and Ralston taken approximate 1913. I will think about and honor my grandmother, Sarah Ida Barber....on this day of her birth, 126 years ago.

2 comments:

Staheli said...

Once again, thank you mom. I am loving reading about my ancestors. I love the pictures and I love your words.

Anita Wells said...

i see a family resemblance there for sure! i love your tributes, beautiful.