Friday, October 14, 2011

There's a mass migration...

.....to Southern California of families from Southern Utah; however, we chose to venture a little more to the east during this Fall break and have our own 2nd Annual Wells Fall Foliage Fest at the Grand Canyon; God's Disneyland and what a beautiful day it was for this venture. Kyle's family invited me along last year (the last week-end that the Grand Canyon Lodge is open) and we decided then and there to make it an annual event so we invited others along.

We started off with a little detour to the California Condor Reserve (Click HERE to learn more about this endangered species). George is into birds these days so it was a "must see" as Kyle had just attended a program where he learned about this place. We all had to match our wingspan to the Condor, the Golden Eagle and the Hawk.

These two guys were watching a new Condor be introduced into nature and we just happened by to interrupt their intense observation but they were nice enough to let George look through the telescope. That will probably be George out there one day watching these birds.....

Next stop, Jacob Lake Inn for lunch and playing around on the rocks....

Nothin' like the restaurant experience to make you feel like it's a vacation. It's always good food and nice atmosphere. I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone traveling through the area.



Some of us didn't get the memo on the blue shirts.....

The end of the day found me sneaking away to soak in some sun on the deck looking over the grandeur.....only marred by a little bit of smoke on the horizon that we learned was a planned/controlled burn.

All I can say is that it's a canyon and it's grand and I got to spend my day there. I'll do it again next year for sure (just gotta plan a little more time at this perch)

4 comments:

Anita Wells said...

love seeing all those W t-shirts again! looks like a beautiful trip.

Penny said...

We need to join you next year. I don't think my kids have ever been. Fun Stuff.

Karen Mendenhall said...

You always do the funnest things together as a family. I wish you were my mom! Ha, I have a great one too, we just don't do anything together - sigh! I live through you and yours! Thanks for sharing! And by the way...we so have to talk you are holding out on me!!! LOL

Staheli said...

Love it. I'll be there next year.