Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Goin' out big.....

...with about three weeks worth of stuff to post but here goes. I think I ended with "The Flood" so I'll start there. I was headed out the door on Monday, December 16th knowing I couldn't just sit on my butt in Folsom when there was a flood in my house. As I went to turn off the t.v., there was a news story about a little girl that had died after a tonsillectomy, so.....instead of heading down 99, I took off over the top of Nevada and headed to Bountiful to check on my Traci and give her a couple more days of help. Yeah, I'll admit I over-react (I'm working on it) and I also felt like it was a sign for me to go there.....'cause at one time I thought she was gonna die. (I think she thought so too, it was so awful).
...and, thankfully, I found everything just fine but I was glad I got to be there for two more nights to help her out and hug her little boys (she was still struggling with pain and inability to eat anything)......and I got to take in Jake's and Scott's piano recital. Then it was time to head on down the road to check out the damage.
Yep, things were a mess. ServPro was in the midst of throwing everything away....we were able to salvage some photos, furniture and a few blankets from under the stairs (thanks, JoEllen for laundering some of my favorite quilts) but there was still a lot of stuff that was lost and that's o.k. Time to reduce and simplify in this house and that we did.
It was awesome to have a dumpster in front of my house for a few days. A whole lot of stuff got thrown away and a few little neighbor "dumpster divers" had a blast.
Phyllis stopped by for a visit and we just happened to find a picture of our trip to China in 2008. 
Good time reminiscing goodtimes. It's good to have friends and family for support during these times. However, we can't let a little misfortune keep us from having some holiday fun. The Gingerbread House Extravaganza was moved from my house to JoEllen's. She's a trooper to make 18 gingerbread houses for our crew and I love how they get into it. The little kids are getting big enough that they love the detail and the process. Laynee had even checked out ideas online for her masterpiece.
They enjoyed some playtime while everyone was finishing and got a little crazy with the icing.
They were all really good but George came out the winner this year. JoEllen', (top right) got "Most Religious". Mine was "Most Traditional". James is the best judge ever and comes up with some really good categories. Everyone is a winner at our party. 
One of my favorite traditions is our hike on the Red Hill on Christmas Eve. I've come to really appreciate being outdoors, especially on our beautiful winter sunshine days.
This year did not disappoint....after the hike, we headed to B-Dubs. Hopefully, a new tradition. Check out Spencer's Blog for another take on this tradition...Click HERE.
Christmas Eve at my mom's.....such a longstanding tradition, I don't even dare guess how many years we have been doing this but we all know what to bring and I'm sure it's stressful for her but we all love it. 
Colleen has been doing games for 20 or so years and passed the torch to Lauri.
We enjoyed some "Minute to Win it" and a little "Mad Lib" Christmas Carols......Kyle and the kids have to keep them riddled with a little "potty language" but it's all in good fun.
Lauri and James joined me Christmas morning and it was so fun to have them here. A little inconvenient without my basement but it was a good mess and we did enjoy Lucy and Molly. Christmas is for kids for sure.
Next, Home Run Derby , I mean, Kickball Palooza. Yep, a new tradition but equally fun and everyone was involved. 
A few lessons in sportsmanlike conduct had to be learned but the competition was fierce as should be expected. 
I had to add this classic picture of James....yep, it was his game. Home run every time.
Beautiful day and good times.
then on to mom's for Christmas lunch. Somewhere in the week we got a trip in to Jumpin' Jacks.... Randy and Kaila showed up and we headed to the hill one more time to find that Geocache I had been looking for. We actually found two of them in about the same area. Jake came along and loved, loved, loved it.....
He chose an old Arby's coupon for a turnover and was so excited. He said..."My mom will celebrate me." Such a little "treasure finder"......Randy loved taking him to his swim lessons when we were in Bountiful helping out so he told them to be sure and bring their suits. We took a few of them to the SHAC and it was a blast.
We always like it when Lauri cooks us Mexican food and she invited everyone over to my messy house but we feasted on some awesome stuff. 
I always love it when the family gets together especially seeing my sons and daughters interact with each others children and the cousins getting along together.
I especially love the pictures of Harry and Molly, wondering what the conversation was at the fire hydrant.
Goodbyes are always hard but it was sure great to have everyone here for a bit, enjoying some longstanding family traditions and making some new ones.....
 Cousins enjoying cousins....
...and sisters being sisters.  So now....we dig in and start the new year with some new goals. Of course, mine is to put my basement back together as quickly as possible. Randy got the ceilings painted and lights switched out.
What a guy. We were beat so didn't celebrate much. Had Chinese take-out with my mom, poured the bubbly and hit the sack about 10....
I'm sure I've left something out but we've crammed a lot into a couple of weeks so anyone that makes it this far, may our 2014 be a great new year with lots of renewal, rejoicing, and remembering with gratitude for all the good in our lives. I can't end this blog without paying tribute to my dad....he would have been 86 years old on this day.....
One of my favorite pictures with my dad....and one of a very few of me and him. I miss him tons. Happy Birthday, Evan Hal Sullivan. We all miss you so much.
I know my mom misses him too....
Celebrating Dad at Chuck-a-Rama. He would have loved this and he would say...."and to think I'm responsible for all of this." He loved his posterity.

No comments: