Wednesday, October 29, 2008

It's my party.......

….and I’ll cry if I want to….but not today (or tomorrow). Nope, I like my birthdays everyone, each brings a greater joy to me…..but I can’t wait, ‘til 58 …..it doesn’t seem that old, to me! I guess you have to know that Primary song..oh, well. I can truly say (and I’ve said it for years) I hate Halloween but I love my birthday and I’ve always loved my birthday and I’ve always wanted others to love my birthday so it was a good thing I was born on Halloween because people remember my birthday (but probably they think of Halloween and witches and think…'Oh, yes I know someone born on Halloween"). There was this once when I was in college at Utah State and I bugged (gently reminded) my roomies for months before my birthday and told them how my mom was gonna get me these rough-out boots that I wanted (stupid I know) and they all thought I was pure-dead crazy until the day they arrived. I couldn’t even wear them to school because we couldn’t wear jeans to school back then, only dress slacks or dresses but I got my wish and I loved those bad boys and had them for years down in the storage room until they got thrown out with a bunch of other DI stuff. They were always a symbol to me that if you let someone know what you want and are persistent (nag) enough about it for long enough you usually get it (or not). Back to Halloween (I digress). I’ve always been a witch at heart so that on those days that I really do turn into one, I know deep down inside…”this is the real me”. So a toast to the witch in me tomorrow and to my mom and dad for bringing me into this world and giving me a good life and lots of birthday parties (all with a Halloween theme, ugh!!) and, BTW, I never wanted to dress in ugly costumes; I always wanted to be something fairly normal like a princess, Cinderella or the lovely Egyptian dancer at the top of the post (I’m sure I hated the belly-show outfit. Can’t believe I would even put it on. Somebody did a nice job on the tin-foil head-dress).



I also want to pay tribute to Halloweens past and acknowledge that even though it’s been a weird holiday to me, I’ve gone along with it and tried to support the kids in all the stupid costumes they wanted, so when I hear of a mother that says her kid doesn’t want to wear a costume, I’m thinking “embrace it and be thankful”. If there were more kids like that in the world, we could possibly do away with a very STUPID HOLIDAY. I think my favorite way to celebrate Halloween and my birthday is to run away to Disneyland but there’s a part of me that knows I have a moral obligation on that night to keep my porch lights on and divvy out the candy, and most years I do that but once in a while, if the lights aren’t on it doesn’t necessarily mean that I’m not home.....the candy's probably gone (or I'm in Disneyland and since I get in free on my birthday next year, I'm just giving a "heads-up" now that the lights probably won't be on).

6 comments:

Spencer said...

Happy Birthday Mom - I love you and will give you a call tomorrow. Trunk or treating went well at the church - Jack in the box was very cute.

Mindi said...

happy birthday to my newest blogging buddy! you are adorable in that egyptian costume, btw. love to see the old photos of the kids--just how i remember them.

hope you have a great day!

Camie said...

You always were a good sport at halloween. It is a good thing your birthday is a halloween one because I always seem to find myself thinking about you this time of year. I hope you get to celebrate in some UN halloween way. Disneyland sounds PERFECT!

xoxomom said...

Oh, the birthday girl, the birthday girl! (Remind me to sing that to you when we go to lunch.) I am looking forward to seeing you and wishing you a wonderful day in person. I still think it is not fair that you are JUST reaching the 58 mark, when most the rest of us are ready to move on...one year closer to the big 60. Who would have ever 'thunk' it back in the good ole Dixie Days??
I still love to call you my friend and always will! Have a terrifically frightful wonderful day!

::dallas:: said...

happy birthday!

Staheli said...

You rock mom, I hope that you survive the sleepover with all your sugared up grand kids. I love ya and I'm glad you had a great day.