Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October is here and with it comes.....

.....a lot of birthdays. Mason has his big three oh and Kyle his big three five......I'll pay tribute in later posts to these boys but want them to know that even though they were both born in October, they'll always be my "boys of summer".... Nothin' I love more than watching my boys play ball. I was able to catch one of Spencer's games while in Kentucky this past week. Best of all was the game they all played together this past summer during the softball season while Spencer was visiting with his family. This post is not about softabll though, it's about birthdays, October birthdays and along with Kyle and Mason, I lost a little son David in 1980 and I always remember him during this month as well. Mine, of course is at the end of the month and as I always do, I'll wish myself a happy birthday and celebrate my mother for giving me life in a later post. I hate halloween but I love my birthday so watch for more about me later. But on this day, I want to acknowledge my friend Cynthia. She is my good neighbor and friend. She feeds me and listens to my whining and has all the answers. She lets me go to her Oregon beach house and there is much more that I can say about this good woman but let's just say, Happy Birthday Cynthia and leave it at that.

On this day 6 years ago a good man was called home.....take a moment to remember my good dad, Hal Sullivan. Not only was he my dad, he was my children's grandfather and my mother's good husband who loved life and hated growing old. So, have some nibs in his memory and use one of his "grandpa-isms", tell one of his jokes or be on time in his honor. He would love that. We miss you dad.......

4 comments:

Camie said...

What a fun month and so many wonderful people to celebrate. Theres nothing I like more then watching my brothers play baseball either. I can almost taste summer and baseball just thinking about it. I hope you get to celebrate yourself all month long. Also, I will be sure to eat a pack of nibs. Still to this day they are some of my favorites and I truely do think it steamed from getting a handful every now and then as grandpa Hal passed them around.

Camie said...

Will you ask traci if she would invite to me see her blog? Tell her I promise to be nice!

joycew said...

October is a great month not only for birthdays but just that fall is finally in the air! I miss Dad as I remember him on this day. I regularly find myself using one of his "dad-ism", however, I never did develop a taste for Nibs!

Anonymous said...

I used to buy a pack of nibs every once and awhile when i worked at the mtc bookstore. i'd eat six at a time, in memory of grandpa. i remember when six nibs seemed like a lot. and happy birthday mom, mason, kyle, and david. i like october. you better have ham sandwhiches and sunshine punch slash witches brew on the 31st. i'd be disappointed if you didn't. just a tip though, 4 lbs of ham and 4 lbs of turkey is toooo much. ;)