Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pomegranate Gold.....

....the tools of the trade for transforming this exotic juice into a work of jellified art. Every year I would get the sour ones (dark red seeds) from Grandma Rose's bushes. Everyone else loved the sweet ones for Dixie Salad but I loved to have dad and the boys squeeze the juice so I could make this beautiful jelly. Grandma's house sold but Cynthia and I went by last year and no one had taken the fruit from the tree so we knocked on the door and asked if we could have it. We practically filled up the back of her Suburban and I came home and squeezed them all by myself. I've made jelly throughout the year but had 5 quarts left and since I have no pomegranates this year, (we haven't ventured over there to see if they've been harvested) I thought I better get it made before it spoils on me so here are the fruits of my labor this balmy night. Ya gotta love the sounds of those jars snapping......good stuff. (this picture shows a sweet pom....I prefer the sour ones but haven't been able to obtain any as of this post. I got these off a neighbor's tree just to show the fruit for my Martha Stewart -type blog post. She surely would have had the real thing but I'm doing the best I can with what I have at the moment and hopefully the week will not end without me finding the "real" ones). Pomegranate Jelly....it's a good thing.....
FYI - some pomegranate facts: http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pomegranate.html

2 comments:

Staheli said...

Ahh...pomegranate jelly. Just another one of my childhood memories. But hold on Mother, before you give Dad and the boys all the credit, I have a deep knife scar on my left pointer finger that says us girls helped out a bunch too. Thanks for the new post I love your blog cause there is always something new.

::dallas:: said...

I have been so busy!! But dont let that fool you I am so excited to see these new socks of mine!! Bring them to Gmas on sunday! Its really the only thing that is solid in our schedual. your amazing! and thanks!