Saturday, October 4, 2008

Just tell me.....why do people run marathons?

I go every year and I'm totally amazed every year and every year I find myself thinking "Maybe I could do this....." then I realize....I wouldn't want to do this. But really, deep down inside, I wish I wanted to do this. So, I wonder why the thousands that I saw today, killing themselves in the pouring rain, really want to do it year after year. I wish I could have asked every one of the thousands that I saw. But, I can only wonder. Maybe it's the attention they get when they are done....remember when you were little and you played baseball or soccer in the heat but it was all worth it to see what the treat mother brought.....Kyle and Joel seemed to like their treats. Could that be it? Or is it the medal? They are pretty cool and it would be quite nice to see them accumulate year after year....or maybe it's because it's a family thing....it really does bring the clan together in a big way.....or maybe they do it just because everyone else is doing it and they don't want to be left out. I know Mason is thinking he wants to do it next year. But why, I ask why? If there's anyone out there that can give me a heartfelt answer, just maybe....I'll consider it.....no, I won't but dang,I have to admire those who do it.

5 comments:

Spencer said...

Congratulations to all - I hope Kyle gets that 10 year jacket that he's going for. Wish I could've been at the Panda Garden - I was thinking about you guys.

Staheli said...

Way to go Kyle!!!

Anonymous said...

I remembered that is was sg marathon day saturday morning when i woke up. A smile came to my face. its one of my most favorite times of the year. I cant even tell you why. when we were younger mom and dad were usually on their big veternary get aways in europe that weekend, and traci and i would go up to bluff street by dads office and pick up cups that runners would throw on the ground. our goal was one of the volunteer t shirts that sometimes real volunteers would see us helping and give us one. i think that happened once one year and so we expected it would again. later i loved going and doing the mayors walk with george and emily then watching even play in the ditch while george and emily crept farther out in to the road to get runners to slap their hands. i love marathon weekend. ill fer sure not be missing it next year. maybe ill train. key word, train, not actually run it. but one day maybe. its not a goal yet, but i could see it as a future goal.

Camie said...

I don't know why either, but I hope one day I can get the guts up to try. I am so proud of the people in my family that showed up for the race this year as well. Marathon weekend is definitely a highlight weekend for SG.

Anonymous said...

Jillyn,
I know a lot of people think what you're thinking. It's tough to explain to people who haven't ever done it before. It's an amazing experience to cross that line knowing you've done something most people haven't ever done and cannot do. I am sure a lot of people wish deep down they could do it and they can do it! I was challenged to do it and I did and loved it! I am so happy I did. It's so gratifying! I've been wearing my medal nonstop since I got it!