Monday, October 26, 2009

Got your pumpkins carved?......

It was always our tradition to carve them out on the back porch on the Family Home Evening before Halloween....that would be tonight. Always good memories and I want you to enlarge this picture and check out the facial expressions on each of my children. They used to put their own special touch not only the pumpkin carved, but on the presentation. Good times......I barely tolerate the holiday but love the memories. I do enjoy others around me enjoying it though. I just wish I could figure out why I don't like it....it could be because of some traumatic experience in my childhood or maybe I don't like orange and black that much.....or maybe it's the fact that it's a made up holiday, but I guess we need all the holidays we can get.... or maybe it's that kids go around and beg for candy. I don't really mind any of the above too much and I do think little kids in costumes are cute, but it's the big kids that dress up and scare me that I don't like. I need you to know that I pass no judgement on those that do love Halloween...seriously, in fact, I wish I did like it and I've tried to over the years but I just don't get it, really....but I realize it's not going away any time soon.....so I'll have my candy ready....and I'll hand it out....and I'll be cordial to the scary big people that knock on my door and want a handout.....and I'll wear orange.....and I'll participate as I say to myself...."wait....now why are we doing this again?".....and one of these years, who knows.....I may come to love it, but probably not.

4 comments:

joycew said...

I voted that I tolerate Halloween but I think that includes all holidays that call for some sort of outward display of creativity, generousity and interest.

Spencer said...

Nice "Flock of Seagulls," Mase.

Staheli said...

I love that picture. I think some of our best family pictures have been taken on those pumpkin carving nights.

Laynee said...

i love carving pumpkins!!!!! :) luv u!!!!