Wednesday, March 17, 2010

An old friend is back...

.....and I'd like you to meet my Vintage 636 Touch and Sew Singer that must be, oh.....let's say about 45 years old. I took her in for repairs....and dropped about 75 bucks but it was worth it as she's as good as new....and sooooo good to have her back. I loved this sewing machine from the day I got it and I don't know why I haven't used it over the last few years but when I got Lauri a machine, I just started using hers and left this one in the cabinet, neglected.... but she's back.....and I'm lovin' it.
******
As I said, I used to make my own clothes...I'd stay up all night to make a dress to wear to school the next day or for a special occasion. I remember learning the basics from Mrs. Porter in 7th Grade. We started by sewing lines that were printed on paper then moved on to aprons that were just straight seams then we put this plastic wasteband in it....quite spiffy I thought. Wish I still had that....I think that Home Ec. class was one of the more useful classes that we had to take and I'm glad I did learn the basics....but I also learned a thing or two in 4-H, especially how to make clothes. I actually even made a wool suit once and learned some cool tricks that helped when I got to Home Ec. in high school from Miss Sanders. Can't remember much about that one other than I did make a real complicated shirt....and realized, when it comes to the hard stuff, I was a bit ADD....but I got through. Haven't sewn much since then, pieced a few quilts, sewn a few blankets but I did make my boys clothes when they were really little. That's just what we did back then.....and I made sure my girls at least had a chance to learn a few basics. Anyway, welcome back Singer Touch and Sew....I've missed you. (Here we all are in our "home made" clothes....I even think I made that tie. The look of horror on Kyle's face is probably because he had no choice in the matter. "Orange? Mom, what are you thinking?")

5 comments:

Spencer said...

I can't even count how many skills you have...it's ridiculous. Don't forget, concert omnichord player to top it off. MADD SKILLS!

Jillyn said...

Ever heard of "Jack (Jill) of all trades, master of none"...that's me....

joycew said...

You continue to amaze me...it seems that anything you try, you master. Don't give us this "master of none" business! You just have the knack for things and as I've said before I am knackless!

Penny said...

I sewed all of Shayne's clothes until she was about 3 or 4. It was fun but now I have no time. My sewing machine in just a mending machine. I love all of your old picture!

Intro to Investments said...

Mom,

I'd like a man-size jumper just like that. Comfy!!