Monday, May 24, 2010

Happy Birthday to a dynamic duo...


.....and they will forever share their birthdays. Jakey will be 2 years old tomorrow and Scotty will be 4 on Wednesday. It's a pleasure to watch a daughter become a mother, especially to two, almost three little boys as I remember my days of mothering sons.

Here's one of my favorite poems from those early years that seemed so "never ending" then but passed ever so quickly: HER TWO LITTLE SHADOWS by Barbara Burrows
"I saw a young mother with eyes full of laughter, And two little shadows came following after; Wherever she moved, they were always right there--Holding onto her skirts, hanging onto her chair, Before her, behind her--an adhesive pair. "Don't you ever get weary as, day after day, Your two little tagalongs get in your way?" She smiled as she shook her pretty young head, And I'll always remember the words that she said: "It's good to have shadows that run when you run, That laugh when you're happy and hum when you hum--For you only have shadows when your life's filled with sun (sons)"
...and these two little boys do fill Traci's day with hard work and delight. Happy Birthday, to my North Carolina boys. I'll see you again real soon.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Love the poem; boys are adorable and love the photo at the top of your blog!