Saturday, October 9, 2010

One hundred years....

.....is a pretty long time so I think it deserves a CELEBRATION and that's what we've been doing all week. Here's just a few things we've done yesterday and today and I'm very, very tired but wanted to get this posted before I fall asleep because I really would like to express my gratitude for the rich history of not only this school, but all that came before it to make it into what it is today. I've been enlightened this day by the many speakers and through this celebration and have a greater understanding and appreciation for the people that have made education happen in our area throughout the years. I made up my mind to attend all the events if at all possible and soak it up because I don't think I'll be around to celebrate 200 and as they say, the centennial really is a "once in a lifetime" event. I attended the queen contest on Tuesday, the Alumni Assembly yesterday, the alumni openhouse last night where we hooked up with Darla Helske and had a grand reunion. She and her husband Matte hosted Kyle the summer of 1991 in their home in Finland and we had a lot of fun meeting her kids that were with her and getting caught up on their family. Then to the midnight 5K....no, I didn't run it but I could have but I would have been dead. It was fun to watch though but then up early for the breakfast then the Founders Day Assembly where I met up with Phyllis as she and Steve are the Grand Marshalls for the parade and Steve is the speaker at the banquet.

A few pics of the gang at the parade. One hundred and two (that's 102) entries in this parade in honor of the centennial. It was one longggggg parade but fun. That's Kyle and Kenny Miller on the Alumni Board float. The kids got enough candy to hand out on Halloween....oh, wait, we're not going to be here on Halloween.

Then to the Alumni House for a rockin' tailgate party with free food (if you could get it, there were so many there). The kids always have fun at these carnivals and President Nadauld loves to throw carnivals. I think this is about the 3rd one since school started.

Then across the street for the football game...beautiful new turf but it didn't make a difference. We lost......

Next, we headed over to the Alumni Banquet where Steve Snow was the speaker. Good food and good company. Darla joined us here along with my attorney, Rick Erickson and his wife Sharon, Mom and Eldene. This was the happenin' table to be seated at for sure.

...and then to the dance where Kyle and JoEllen tripped the lights fantastic (weird phrase) and guess who showed up....

Wow, someone really pulled some strings to get these guys here and they sounded like the real thing. I'm tired just telling you about this week-end but one last thing before I hang it up......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MASON.....(let me end with a dentist joke)....What time is it when you go to the dentist? Answer: 2:30....(get it....tooth...hurty....). I'm assuming no one has made it this far on this post so it doesn't matter how corny I'm getting right now 'cause I'm dang tired. Nite, nite....and HURRAH for Dixie.

4 comments:

Staheli said...

What a blast! Wish I could have been there. I love DIXIE! I made it all the way through, and loved hearing about it all.

Lauri said...

WO... that's a lot of stuff. Happy Birthday MASON 10-10-10!

joycew said...

I always read the WHOLE thing. I love your blogs and admire the way you stay active in all that is going on in our wonderful community! Isn't it great! And you're great, too! Happy Birthday, Mason..to think that you are all grown up and working on my teeth!
P.S. Phyllis, you did make the blog!

Diana said...

I always make it too. Thanks, girlfriend, for takng the time to blog. I'm going to try to appreciate Homecoming through your eyes and only wish I could have been there. Like Joyce, I am amazed at your loyalty to school and community. It's one of the things I love about you.