Sunday, October 24, 2010

There's something in this house older than me....

.....well, not really older in years but if 7 years of a dog's life is equal to one human year and a dog's life expectancy is what, about 10 or so years....I read that the life expectancy of a household appliance averages about the same, and I read that Amana put out the first microwave in 1967 (read more HERE if you are interested) and I got a 1980 model so mine being 30 years old, we're looking at 210 "human years" old.....and believe it or not, it's still plugging along; sounding a little old and worn out but can still warm a cup of hot chocolate and heat my Lean Cuisine. Now don't go rushin' out and get me a new one for my birthday. I have one sitting in my garage and as I tried to remove the old one to replace it, the message was clear. It just wasn't ready to go...we couldn't get it out so it's stuck for a while longer. I too, will keep plugging along doing what I do. I know I'm old though 'cause most kids now days don't even know what a typewriter is and they would be astonished to know how we used to produce multiple copies of a document. I hesitate to tell anyone how we used to line however many sheets we wanted produced with carbon paper and then type away and heaven forbid if you made a mistake.....oh the nightmare. I won't get started on "how it used to be" 'cause that's the first indication that "old age" is settin' in so I'll just keep my mouth shut and smile when the kids say "e-mail, are you kiddin' me. That's so ancient".....(wonder if I'll ever get good at texting).
**********************
I digressed a bit there but before I end this post, let me give you a little history of this sweet little (I mean ginormous) microwave oven. We got the house built and had a place for it but ran out of construction loan money when the house was done. Scott announced that the hole would have to be empty for a while...I moaned and groaned and complained enough that he gave in and went up to Wilkinson's and laid down the $300 and made me happy. It's been there ever since as has most of the stuff in this house; however, I have to say, it's the ONLY appliance that has not been replaced so I'm paying homage to my Amana Radarange and knocking on wood that it continues to pump out the electromagnetic waves for a little while longer. When it dies, I'll put it on a shelf down by the 8-track record player and put stuff in it for safe keeping.

4 comments:

Staheli said...

I can't believe dad paid 300 dollars to get a microwave. I think we spent 50 on our brand new one...granted, it probably wont last 30+ years.

joycew said...

They just don't make things like they used to...my printer wasn't working but I couldn't get it repaired so I bought a new one that cost less than the repair would have been and the printer is supposed to last TWO years!!!What a disposable society we live in...but then again when was the last time I "darned" socks?

janece said...

So funny I retired my Litton that Lynn and I bought from Arrowhead appliance on Tabernacle a few years back...it was a very sad day for me but my kids were ecstatic!! The Smithsonian Institute might be looking for yours!!

Diana said...

Guess we are of the same ilk. I had the Amana Radar Oven too. I think mine was older than yours, but it's been gone for many a year. I remember getting it when I lived in Sugarhouse... must have been about 1975. I thought it was pretty nifty.