Friday, January 14, 2011

Happy Birthday to my Great Grandmother....

.....on my dad's side, Mary Ann McMullin Sullivan, wife of William Duncan Sullivan, Sr. She was born January 14, 1866 (so that would make her 155 years old if I've done my math right).
William Duncan (I think they called him Duncan) met Mary Ann in the Winter of 1880-81 at the old Leeds Church at a dance. The meeting blossomed into romance and they married on October 22, 1883. Their children were William Duncan, Jr., Frank, Ethel, Verda, Estella Julia, Cleo Archibald, Erma, Leland George, Evan Lazell (my grandpa) Mary Reah, Dellas Eli, Lillian and Mary Ann. To quote from the history...."William Sullivan's wife was a patient, self-sacrificing woman and never complained at anything. There was hardly a morning in her life but what she gave her family hot biscuits for breakfast. That seemed her main object in life, to make her family comfortable and happy. The large family with its added cares and few of the modern conveniences told on her strong constitution and she passed away to a glorious reward May 8, 1936 at the age of 69."

3 comments:

Anita Wells said...

Happy birthday Mary Ann! I'd give her a microwave and toaster to speed up the breakfast routine :-)

Intro to Investments said...

I love to read these entries Mom. Keep them coming.

joycew said...

Ditto!It's very interesting to picture what their lives were like back then with big families, no conveniences, etc. No wonder they died young!