Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I know it's true....

....that you should never try a new recipe when you have to take it to an event but I broke that rule tonight; sure enough, it looked terrible (the picture is what it's supposed to look like) but my, was it yummy......even if I do say so myself so I'm gonna tell you a little bit about it and you for sure will be wanting to try it. Actually, I think I'll make it again tomorrow. So....a while back, Kyle introduced me to brie cheese (HERE) and I ran across this recipe while I was "blog hoppin' " the other night so I decided I would try it for Book Club (we were reviewing the book "The Food Nanny" and we were supposed to bring our favorite recipe) so I decided this would be my favorite recipe. I saw the cheese at Costco today for five bucks and the puff pastry was at Harmon's ('cept I got the wrong kind but didn't know it until I got ready to make the recipe) so I had to run over again and get the right kind which put me a bit late....then I had to get it defrosted....long story short...I didn't get the dough defrosted good enough and it didn't come up around the round of cheese so the cheese spilled out a bit. This is what mine looked like, but I'm not going to give up. You cut the round of brie cheese in half and put a mixture of fresh pears and cranberries that have been cooked with water and brown sugar then wrap it with the puff pastry. I thought it would need some crackers, like a dip but not so. It was more like a pie. Oh, so good..... clickty click HERE if you would like the recipe.
*******************
I actually have been starting to cook a little more lately. I've been putting something in my little crock pot a couple of times a week and that seems to get me through. The Food Nanny's book is about the joy of dining together each night and the value it is to the welfare of the family. She says..."Each person deserves a meaningful dinnertime - even if you're cooking only for yourself. The aromas of dinner cooking can permeate your home every night. I believe this is the most important thing you can do for you and your family each day." Clickity click HERE if you want to learn more about The Food Nanny. Some good ideas....and very true. My favorite meal as a kid was my mom's Tuna Casserole. What's yours?

3 comments:

Intro to Investments said...

Fresh tomato or asparagus soup.

Lauri said...

Crusty Cheese noodle casserole and sloppy joes

joycew said...

Ditto on the Tuna Casserole (especially the next day!) but I also loved bread-making day and the round rolls Mom made...(ellipsis)and I can't forget the bottled peaches, hot off the stove to dip the home-made-bread toast in! I could go on but I won't.