Friday, December 12, 2008

Gingerbread is in the house....

....thanks to JoEllen for our 2nd annual Gingerbread Fest. She did all the work, got all the stuff and we all made the mess. (I think JoEllen cleaned everything up as well). Thanks for a good time. If prizes were to be given out, I think Mason would win for adding the sled....it took his over the edge for sure. The kids will probably all be sick tonight but it was a really good time and the continuation of another Wells family tradition. I was wondering where gingerbread houses originated so thought I'd share what I found. Gingerbread is a baked treat that dates back to the Middle Ages. It is thought to have first appeared in the U.S. in the nineteenth century, when the Swiss monks of St. Meinrad Archabbey in Indiana baked gingerbread on holidays, and gave it to the sick. Over the years, baking gingerbread cookies and building gingerbread houses developed into a popular American Christmas tradition. It was a beautiful day outside so when we got finished with our lovely creations, some of us partook of a little Cornhole game while the kids jumped in the leaves.
Happy Anniversary, Spencer and Shana.....
Eleven years ago tomorrow these two became a family. Four kids later, they're a bigger family. Shana has been a "rock" to help Spencer fulfill his life goals. She's been willing to move to Salt Lake then cross country so he could finish his education. Thanks, Shana for taking care of my boy who threatened early on that he would never move out of this house. And thanks for welcoming me into your house when I visit. I hope you have a great day and do something fun together. Sorry I'm not there to babysit. Shana sent me this little diddy. Click HERE to see what Spencer's "little" family is up to. (Wait for it to download.)

4 comments:

Spencer said...

This was taken especially for your blog - and that is one blogarific cheeseball. Thanks mom.

joycew said...

You have so many fun traditions!(you know I'm jealous, ha ha)Merry Christmas!

Penny said...

That is a great dancing family of elves, Spencer! And the Gingerbread houses are so cute. That is a really fun memory for the kids.

Karen M. said...

We also have the gingerbread tradition only we do it at my brothers house and his poor wife gets it all ready for us. We have so much fun, I helped my 16 year old nephew make a football field gingerbread thing complete with bleachers, made it more fun for him.