Saturday, December 20, 2008

The mall was packed......

.....and I can't believe I actually went out on the Saturday before Christmas but I thought with the bad economy and all, maybe I would be the only one there!!!! This was actually my first day out to "shop"...you see...when we were young, Scott would always have to pay estimated taxes in November and it took a while to build back up again so I never got the "go ahead" until about December 15 to start my Christmas shopping so I'm used to getting a really late start and it usually consisted of just getting "anything" as most of the really good stuff was gone. So, Lauri and I were talking the other night about gifts and she admitted that there were some pretty "stupid" ones given by me.....but she did add that it was kinda fun seeing what Santa would bring when they didn't ask for anything. She admitted that among the stupidist (is that a word) were the ukeleles they got one year. I was SHOCKED to say the least. This was the first I've heard that they didn't just love them and I had high hopes of making them into my little strumming stars. But come to think of it, those things have just sat around all these years and no one knows how to play them. So I got to thinking about other stupid tries. There was the year that I didn't know what to get Kyle so on Christmas eve I hurried out and got him a unicyle. He did learn how to ride it though. Oh, then there's the year I got this HUGE manly gold necklace from my husband. I tried to act surprised and pleased when I opened it but I just about gagged. I probed a bit and Scott said that he took the little girls shopping and they led him to the JC Penney's jewelry department and pointed to that and said that I told them to tell him that I wanted it. Ugh.....so I questioned them for a really long time and was totally baffled as to what they think I pointed to....it was NOT that necklace. I quietly returned it for the $800.00 that he paid for it. It was actually half off. Poor Scott. He had the hardest times buying me gifts. Then there was the year of the sweatsuits. Not just one but two beauties, pastels both of them with the beautiful flowered embroidery. Those babes got traded in for some diamond earrings.....there you have it. I probably shouldn't admit that I ever hated any gift I got and I did appreciate the sentiment but some of those things just really needed returning. Good luck and just try to remember that it's the thought that counts. I'd love to hear your "stupid gift" stories.

2 comments:

Staheli said...

I laughed out loud cause I remember all those things. I remember the sweat suits and I remember thinking "why didn't dad tell any of us what he was thinking of getting you?" I always hear about these people that have Christmas ready by the end of October and I am blown away cause I remember you having to wait, and even though I don't really need to wait, I do cause that's how you do Christmas.....last minute.

joycew said...

In mid-November I asked a friend if she was ready for Christmas and she looked at me like I was crazy and said,"It's not even Thanksgiving yet, of course I'm not ready for Christmas!" I embrace that philosophy and yours. DECEMBER is the month to get ready for Christmas.