Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I hope you've got your lights untangled....

.....and you are standing there admiring your tree. I've lost a little holiday steam as I started out strong (in the enthusiasm department) but I'm waning. (1: to decrease in size, extent, or degree : dwindle : as a: to diminish in phase or intensity — ) It's taken me all day to drag the microwave box off the shelf (seems like just yesterday I hoisted it up there by myself) but I did get it out, untangled the lights (why don't I learn from year to year) and got my front room tree in place (thanks to Kyle's help, I was able to once again anchor the outrageous top ornament purchased in honor of Lauri on her Spanish speaking mission and now in honor of her return from Mexico. I will continue to keep it festive and colorful for her). Maybe tomorrow I'll get one more thing done. Let's see.....I have 21 days until Christmas....which means, if I get one thing done per day, I can only do 21 more things to get ready for Christmas. I've often wondered why we "get ready" for this one day. I've always been uncomfortable with the question "Are you ready for Christmas?" I do love the holiday but I don't like the stress that this question puts upon me and I try every year to avoid it or at least not let it consume me. So....I'll accept my slower pace this year and enjoy the 21 more things I will do to be "ready" when the day arrives and try to be merry about it. I like the concept of the "Secret of Christmas" which is....."it's not the things you do at Christmas time.....but the Christmas things you do all year through." Maybe I'll just leave my house decorated and have Christmas for 12 months and avoid the rush next year.

3 comments:

joycew said...

I'm embracing your philosophy of "1 thing each day". How about lunch today?

Karen M. said...

I did the easy thing, we are going to California for Christmas so no mess at my house...bah humbug!

Penny said...

JoEllen was just saying today that she's tried everything to get the Christmas Spirit but nothings worked. I think this year has been hard on everyone financially and emotionally. I think we just need another calm Thanksgiving and call it good.