Friday, December 26, 2008

Let's hear it for the cards.....

It's always been my favorite part of Christmas and I refuse to give in to the e-card. I lost my address list from last year so resorted to sending out cards to my friends and family with addresses I was sure of or to people that sent me one but I did send them. I think I've only missed one year and I'm not sure why but I've kept my card each year to chronicle the changes in our family. It used to be creative but now it's pretty basic and I try to write at least a one-line message to those I choose to send one to. I do love pictures but I love more knowing what the family has been doing throughout the year. I was taking down my decorations and started taking my Christmas cards off the wall and decided I had to give a "shout-out" to those who sent me cards this year and a great big "THANK YOU" for not taking me off your Christmas card list. I'm going to start compiling a more complete address list so that next year I can get mine out by Dec. 1 which is what I did for most of my married life. Here's an excerpt that I ran across the other day that sums up why I like to get "real" Christmas cards and why I will continue for as long as I can write one (or afford to send one) to send my holiday greetings by snail mail.

"It’s intriguing at a time when e-mail is slowly taking over from the traditional letter ....... few of us want to receive electronic Christmas cards. The explanation is simple enough – it’s far more pleasant to decorate a room with cards than it is to pile them into a desktop folder on your computer."
Long live the Christmas card!!!!!