Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Oh, what did you do in the summertime....










....when it was triple digit heat and too dang hot to even go outside? I was straightening up my den and came across a picture that reminded me of days gone by...and what my kids used to do. I'm actually surprised they survived most of it. As kids, at least once a summer (when we could drive ourselves) we headed out to the Washington Canal and would tube down it. I vowed I'd never let my kids do that. It seemed dangerous to me. But my kids soon discovered the Washington Dam on their own and I'd cringe whenever they would want to go there. However, in the Dixie heat, rule number one is "find some water"..... even if it is at the Washington Dam!!!!
********************
The cliff jumping I could have done without.

When the kids were smaller, we'd go out to the farm and had our own little swimming hole. I'm not sure how sanitary it was but it took up a lot of summer afternoons and cooled us off.

We always had a pass to the city pool when I was a kid and we'd walk ourselves over to what is now Vernon Worthen park where the sand volleyball pits are and swim for a couple of hours every afternoon. My kids did the same at our city pool....I think I'd let them stay all afternoon if they wanted to. Joyce and I are not sure why our mother only let us stay an hour, maybe two at the most. I'll have to ask Mom if there's a "motherly reason" for that one.

Then there were the trips to the Veyo Pool. A lot of the fun there was playing in the stream, catching crawdads but the pool was lots of fun too. I have to admit, my favorite part of it all was the pronto pup for lunch after a good swim. Nothin' like JoAnn's Veyo pronto pups. I ran into her the other day and she isn't there any more but she'll make you a batch of her famous (secret recipe) dough, enough for 60 pups. Just give her a call next time you're havin' a party and want to fry some up. Sounds good to me. Veyo Pool has been there as long as I can remember.....I just haven't been there for a while.
There was always the mighty Virgin River and skimboarding soon came to be the summer sport of choice.

I'm not sure where Spencer found this water but I think it is at the Washington Dam.

....and summer wasn't summer without at least one trip to the Subway. Not as easy now, but it sure made for some fun times when it was simple to just take off whenever you wanted to and get through it as fast as you could. Too bad it got so famous.....

It was always my dream to have a pool in my back yard. The closest I ever got to that was our jacuzzi. I loved it in the winter but the kids used it a lot in the summer. Not sure if this is a winter or summer shot but it pretty much was "our pool" on those hot summer afternoons (unheated of course).

Pretty much, though....all you really need to keep cool is a trampoline and a water hose.....just as fun for my grandkids as it was for my kids. So there you have it.....a little bit of then and now.

Stay cool....and have a safe summer!!!!

7 comments:

Diana said...

How do you find all your pic to go with your thoughts? It's just great! Oh, the Veyo pool and I haven't thought of Pronto Pups for a hundred years. You have a brain like a steel trap.

Staheli said...

Loved it. This one brought back so many memories. We really did know how to survive the summers there in St. George didn't we! I always loved going to the pool on our own, except for Lauri and I it was the dixie center and you would send us with some coins so that when they kicked us out for the hour of lap swimming we could grab a candy bar from the machines and play in the locker rooms until the lap swimming was over. I have many good memories of swimming there and staying the whole day there too. I also loved our Veyo trips, I remember being scared of the locker rooms there. They were kind of spooky. And even though I was never very good at it, I did love going skimming during my teenage years. Lots of good times in all the waters of Southern Utah.

Jean Jolley said...

Jillyn,
I want to nominate your blogspot for the best blogspot EVER! I love reading of your thoughts, family, memories and adventures. Truly a masterpiece! Priceless! I am glad you are making books out of your works.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your blog. I truely enjoy reading about your family adventures--both "now and then." Thank you. Love to you all, Cynthia

joycew said...

Ditto. You truly lead us down memory lane with every blog...and so many of your memories are mine, as well. I love seeing the old pictures and remembering how the town used to look. (The old corrals of Cox Dairy behind your fence!!)

Karen M. said...

We are so doing the Veyo Pool when we go up to your cabin, I haven't been since high school thanks for joggin the old memory.

Spencer said...

That waterfall is on the Virgin River down where they have the skimboard festival each summer - southeast of the mall. Anyway - good times.

When I lived in the SLC for that year working at LDS hospital, one of my coworkers told me that when she thinks of St. George, she thinks of a bunch of little tan kids running around barefoot and shirtless - I told her she wasn't far off.