Monday, July 19, 2010

Who is the best...

.....Mr. Darcy? Colin Firth is at the top of my list but tomorrow, I may have a new favorite as Joyce and I head north to see Pride and Prejudice, the play....at the Shakespearean Festival. I'm excited....since I discovered Jane Austen a few years ago (really wish I had paid attention in my English classes in high school instead of figuring out ways to report the movie instead of the book or read the Reader's Digest Condensed Books instead of the real thing). I actually didn't discover reading for pleasure until I was in my late 20's or so and the first book I read and couldn't put down (it got me hooked) was Sidney Sheldon's "Bloodline". All you readers out there are gasping at the thought of someone that doesn't like to read but believe me, I didn't....but I do now. In the last month, knowing I'm headed to see this play, I've devoured every version of P & P that I could get my hands on, including the oldest....which was a little painful to get through but it was o.k., actually quite interesting as a comparison. If you want to get caught up to speed on this story, click HERE for an article I ran across while looking for some pictures. Last night, I watched "Becoming Jane" again....(love it, love it, and so sad, but don't let that keep you from watching it.) It's the story of her life and her life was sad. I've really tried to find out more about her life but must believe that it follows it closely enough for me. It was interesting that she seemed to be so consumed with love, finding it, helping someone else find it, losing it, helping someone else lose it, analyzing it, judging it, in all of her writings. I do love them all...(the ones I've read)....but none like P & P. It's just such a fascinating concept to me that she wrote of such current characters, feelings and conflicts so very long ago. Love is love....no matter when in history it's written about. It's the core of our existance and she writes so eloquently about it. We still want that companionship for our children and in a way, it does consume us a bit until they find "the one".


May a little bit of Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy live on in all of us.......
We can dream can't we?

2 comments:

Staheli said...

Have you read "Autenland" it was quick and interesting. It sort of de-romanticizes the whole Austen saga though....so maybe that's not what you are looking for. I enjoyed it, and it still ended up being a love story, so there you go.

joycew said...

I agree that Colin Firth is the best Darcy, so far. Today may change our minds! Good article on the Olivier version. Love your blog! Love you! See you later.