Sunday, August 15, 2010

The world loves a parade...

....or at least I do and so did Walt Disney. I never could get any of my family to watch parades with me at Disneyland but they are still one of my favorite events and ever since I could remember, my mom took us to parades and I took my kids to parades. Now granted, our small-town parades are not anywhere to the quality of the Disney parades but they don't have to be. They are our smalltown parades with our people and our community on parade, and it's really fun to feel a part of that community pride. It was a "fair" day yesterday as I started out the day biking up to Tabernacle Street for the Washington County Parade.
It was really a pretty good parade and the kids liked getting the candy.

I liked this politician that came behind the horses and scooped the poop. It says: "Stop the manure in D. C....elect Mike Lee".)

We all liked the guys in the little cars. I'm sure my kids have all been in a parade before. Kyle marched with Dixie Middle School band, maybe Spencer did the same, I'm not sure. Lauri was in with some of the little neighbor girls dressed in their dance outfits at one time. I remember Spencer was in one of the Washington County parades with Dixie High Student Council on roller blades, I think. Anyhoo, I was in a parade once....and maybe this is why I love parades. Here I am with Charles Pitchforth, probably a Lion's Club float or something. I thought I was pretty cute. I've been in a few since; marched with the Jetettes and Rebelettes when we would really "march" the whole parade route in those dastardly boots. I guess that's enough about parades.
*******
I then headed to Pine Valley, just for a breath of fresh air. It sure is beautiful up there this time of year. Kyle and the kids came up and seem to always enjoy their activities in the mountains....you know, like sliding down the stairs, etc. etc. etc. Matty's not a real big fan of mowing the lawn but Kyle eventually got it done. Did I mention how beautiful it is up there? You ought to come up and see for yourself.
*****************
I came home and met Cherrie Miller at Del Taco for one of her famous "senior citizen coupon dinners" (2 soft tacos and a drink for a buck. I need to hang out with her more often and learn a thing or three) Then we headed to the county fair to mix and mingle with the rest of the beautiful people of our county. Yep....it was a pretty "fair" day. Hope you had a great week-end. Later.....















5 comments:

Diana said...

I'm so glad you had a FAIR day! Love you and Charlie in the parade. I wish I had known you then!

Jillyn said...

Wow, you're quick. I'm still editing this post. Good to hear from you kiddo. Later....

Karen M. said...

You sure pack alot into a weekend my friend. Always love to hear what's happening in your world, makes mine seem pretty mundane, thanks for sharing.

Staheli said...

Looks so fun. I always liked the snow cones at the parade. I wish I were in Pine Valley with you. Talk to ya later.

joycew said...

Maybe the reason I don't like parades is the memory of the parade I was in...twirling a baton with Marsha Bergeson's group. Oh, and of course the Jetette/Rebelette thing. To each her own. I do like to hang out at the fair, eat Fair Food and watch Fair Entertainment. (What is more entertaining that watching Fair People!?)