Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It's the tenth time....

...I've celebrated his birthday without him and it's not getting any easier but I need you to know what a "first class" guy he was. I've said a lot about him in other posts and it seems these past nine years, I've done nothing but think about him every minute of my life so I think it's o.k. to dedicate a post to him once a year. He taught me to go through life "first class"....not that we always got to do it but it's how he lived. I don't always follow his example but I do try.

I think he spoiled me 'cause there were times I wouldn't go with him if it wasn't "first class" (or at least a nice, warm motel room)....but that didn't keep him from going...he just took Lauri and Traci along (mostly to put the camper up and down and do the dishes) but at least he gave them the "experience".......

...and there were times he wanted us to have the "experience" so badly, that he would do things he didn't like (he hated roller coasters) just to make sure the frightened one would overcome a fear. Whom would you say he is riding this 'coaster for???? Huh? Not himself that's for sure and certainly not for me or Mason......

...and ever willing to for go the comforts of his Lazy Boy so his boys would not be lazy boys. He loved getting out in nature with his sons.

Maybe that's why I chose to spend my day today celebrating his day in a place we both loved and went together often. Never have I seen a bluer sky than the one that greeted me today. Cynthia and I took a detour to Grafton then headed up to enjoy the Fall leaves that were almost gone in Zion.

I ended the day with dinner at a new Chinese Buffet....George's new love of Sushi has caused this establishment to replace Chuck-a-Rama.

As we all move on to another year of missing him, I hope that each time you conquer a fear or try something new, you'll know that's what he would have wanted for you. He loved traveling to new places,trying new foods, and learning something new each day and he wouldn't want fear to keep you from being adventurous and trying new things. Happy Birthday, Scott Gordon Wells. You are missed by many....

5 comments:

xomom said...

Yes indeed, Scott you are missed by many....but most of all by your family. Let me just say that you did a great job living and loving life while you were here, and you left your kids in good hands. As you know, Jillyn is one terrific lady!

Spencer said...

Thanks mom, I need to hear from you every so often. Happy birthday dad - life's good.

Penny said...

10 years already? He was and is still an amazing man. I can't wait to see him again and let him know what a great example he was to us.

Staheli said...

Thanks mom...I loved the post.I knew you could do it!

janece said...

Such great memories I will always remember him coming over and visiting Lynn and trying to cheer him up. Great man, great friend!