Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I've gone to pot....

....or I should say "pots" and that's what I want to blog about today because I had to go up to Brushfire to get the kids projects that we did last week after they had been fired (they all turned out so cute) and it got me to thinking about how much I love pots. I've always loved them for a place to stash things and now I put them all over my house to collect my reading glasses, my pointy sticks, my pens, my pocket change....you name it, I have a pot for it. It's such a silly thing to be obsessed over and I wouldn't say that I'm really obsessed (if I were, I'd be a master pot thrower but I don't like getting my hands dirty so I just resort to looking around for other people's pottery) but I do like to find a good pot. When Joyce and I traveled across the United States a couple of summers ago, we went into every antique store we could find looking for the perfect pot to put our reading glasses in. The "quest" made the trip a little more exciting and believe you me, we were glad for an antique store every few miles to break up that trip through Kansas. I have a tendency to look for pots in most gift shops and over the years, I've added quite a few unique ones to my collection but my favorites have been the ones given to me, made by people I know. I admire people that are talented enough to do the real pottery with the wheel and turn out something that is a work of art. Some of my most cherised decorations are the pots that Lauri made when she was taking a pottery class. But mostly, I like my pots to be filled with my reading glasses....one or two in every room of the house and still, I'm continually looking for my glasses. I know I should just go get me some "real" glasses and wear them all the time but then what would I put in my pots. So, until I do break down and go to the eye doctor, I'll continue to put my glasses in my pots.....and I may even go check into a pottery class tomorrow.
***************************
I wasn't going to join in with the kids last week but I couldn't resist so I wanted to post a picture of my finished pot that I painted and it's perfect for my pointy sticks. I'm really quite proud of it and may just go back and do another one. It's really fun and quite relaxing and looks so pretty after it's all fired up. That firing kinda covers up all the imperfections. There must be an object lesson there but I'll save it for another time.

3 comments:

Staheli said...

Thanks mom. That brushfire place looks fun. I love your pot!

joycew said...

I love looking at my Kansas pots...what memories! I, too, have pots for glasses all over the place and I really wish I wanted to know what to do with your pointy sticks 'cause I have room for stick pots, too! Someday...

Diana said...

I love all your pots! After you showed me your treasures, I've taken your lead and started putting our reading glasses in ceramic cups or "pots" too. I'm starting to save my money for Nov!